CAD vs gaming oriented video cards

Hey everybody!

I have a question about video cards.
I understand some cards work better with CAD programs and some are better for gaming.

Now, what I don’t understand is why gaming cards don’t work as well for CAD software as they do for gaming? Or even l how do the applications differ so much from eachother?

Also, which card should I chose for Blender or other 3D work?

I’ve googled this and got super vague answers that dont really help. I’d like to know how to differentiate one card from the other and how to compare cards of same kind.

If anyone could explain or point me to some article or something that helps me ubnerstand this, I’d be forever grateful!

Thanks

CAD video cards are usually capable of calculating a number type in machine language known as “Double Float”, or is optimized for calculating such number type.

Gaming video cards are mostly only capable of doing “Single Float”, or does not have the optimizations for calculating “Double Float” when it has to. Therefore is significantly less accurate or slow when the precision of numbers reaches the “Double Float” range.

Typically, a single float number is capable of a precision of 0.000001, 6 digits after the dot. Where I’m not sure how precise is the double float number type, but it’s a lot more precise.

Note, in programming, 1 - 1 == 0 can sometimes be wrong if all “1” in here are single floats instead of integer. And this is due to not enough accuracy with the single floats. And the "1"s are actually 1.0000001, and 0.9999999.

So, if you do use CAD software and run engineering sims, and work in related field, you might need one. For polygonal 3D modelling and gaming, you don’t need a CAD video card. That’s why I referred it as “CAD video card”

also

• have real 10bit (+more) monitor support (color grading…) / game card exceptions: Vega, Polaris
  • run slower, more silent, consume less power - optimized for longevity & 24/7 activities