Alt+select edge fails

For some reason the ability to select an entire loop is not working as it did earlier.

The link is to an image share service - is that allowed?

I’m in edit mode #1 - I can select an edge #2 - but the alt option will not work. I’m wondering if it has something to do with the modifiers - #3?

It normally fails when there is an edge which is not a quad, so either a triangle, or an edge with an added point. Without looking at the blend file, it’s difficult to say. but go into wireframe mode and see what it looks like. Select loop only works until it encounters a non quad face.

That’s not it. I have the same issue with a simple sphere. In fact pressing the alt/option key (Mac) disables selectig anything.

Ahh, I am using a PC so not sure how much help I can be. Using the Left ALT key work fine. I wonder, does any addon take over the key for something?
Look in User preferences, under input, put “loop” in the name, it should show Mesh->Loop Select with “Alt Select Mouse” as the action.
If you do, it may be worth trying to assign it to another action. Also, check other commands dependant upon the “alt” key, do any of them work as expected? (Such as Altr+S for shrink/fatten).

Actually, let me try and reproduce the scene, think I know what your are doing.

Edit: Hmm, nope, works fine, can you put up a simple blend file with just that geometry in so I can see if it is OS or blend file related? If your blend file works fine on my system, we know it’s something else.

GOT IT!

That was great advice - thanks!

I looked into it and the settiings were fine however “emulate 3d mouse” was ticked in the prefs and that apparently makes things difficult.

Super, glad you got it sorted. :slight_smile: