Skin Selection

Hi,
I’m glad to release this new addon. I know some similar work is being done for Blender 2.8, but since it won’t be released before months, I gave it a go.

Skin Selection is a Blender addon to select the bones controllers based on the meshes surface.
It allows to hide all the controllers and operate directly on the mesh surface, clearing out the viewport.

Hope it will be useful to you!

To support the work, this addon is not free, but still very affordable.

Thanks!

Gumroad

Blender Market

Usage:

1)Create the vertex groups:

-Under the Vertex Groups Creation label, add up to three bone controllers.

-Click Create VGroup. A corresponding vertex group is added. The group are easily recognizable with the “fs:” prefix for “face selection” vertex groups.

-Assign the faces/vertices for this vertex group.

-Optionally if the group is from the right or left side, click Mirror Selected VGroup to mirror it on the other side.

2)Display options:

-Optionally change the display parameter: color, alpha…

3)Click Start!

-Only the meshes will be displayed.

4)Click an area on the mesh to select the associated controller.

Left click to select the first mapped controller, hold Shift for the second, and Alt for the third.

5)Press escape key or the Stop button to go back to the normal mode.

Notes:

-Selection can be wrong in ortho mode, switch to perspective mode! (numpad key 5)

-Multiple bones selection is not yet implemented.

-Bones controllers names must end with a two characters side, eg: “hand.l” or “hand_L” for left, “hand.r” or “hand_R” for right side. This allows skin selection to work with mirror modifiers.

-If multiple bones are included in the group, they must be from the same side.

-When switching to edit mode, the skin selection will stop.

Hey lucky,

your new addon looks fantastic. I immediatley buy it, but unfortunately i got that error if i try to install it.

Have you any clue ?

Thanks
Haki

Ho my… Sorry I badly renamed the addon!
Just replace the file name by this: skin_selection_1_0.py
Or download the new version.
Sorry for the inconvenience!

It works! Thank you!! :slight_smile:

Are you thinking of bounding properties directly to some of these? instead of only bones?
i mean, if i wanted to use a “skin selection” to drive a shapekey or a bendy bone property would be nice to.

How do you know where are rigger placed spots if you have to select some spot before it highlights the area its deforming? Shouldn’t it be like that when you hover over the mesh your cursor it highlights deforming spots you’re mouse hovering? Sorry about my ignorance in this but I cant see the logic.

You’re welcome Haki!

Are you thinking of bounding properties directly to some of these? instead of only bones?

Sorry not for the near future, but maybe later.

Shouldn’t it be like that when you hover over the mesh your cursor it highlights deforming spots you’re mouse hovering? Sorry about my ignorance in this but I cant see the logic.

Been reading the sentence several time, but sorry I don’t get the logic either…

I mean should the controlling points be highlighted when you mouseover them, how would someone who starts to animate your rigged character know which parts are moveable other than trying to find them by clicking all over the mesh?

I mean should the controlling points be highlighted when you mouseover them, how would someone who starts to animate your rigged character know which parts are moveable other than trying to find them by clicking all over the mesh?

Ah ok thanks for clarifying. Well, sounds quite obvious for many controllers, and the click-and-try method is not a big deal. However to help the user, the associated controllers names could be displayed somewhere (panel, 3d view?), that’s right. Maybe for a future update. Anyway if you select a controller, its name is displayed in the Item tab of the properties panel.

I think also preselection highlighting would aid the process of finding the areas, and also could be you could have a color mode where it-ll overlay different colors on every selectable area, or something like that right?
looks like a great addon man.

Hi lucky ! This looks very interesting but I couldn’t make it work. Is it 2.79 friendly ?
I created the vgroups, assigned the vertices… but when I hit play, I don’t get the highlighing and I can’t grab anything. Could you provide a sample scene to make sure that everything is okay with my config ?
Thanks !

Hi Nikos,here is a test scene.
Let me know if it works for you. It should be ok with Blender 2.79.

Thanks lucky , it works perfecly ! I just forgot to deactivate a multires modifier which was giving some hard time to the script, apparently. Thanks again, it’s great !

You’re welcome Nikos! Subdivision works, open subdiv is recommended for faster performance. Multires should work as well, but high level will certainly impact the performance as well. I’ve just published a new version including new options for faster drawing/less accurate or longer drawing/accurate, but anyway, selecting a bone controller with subsurf enabled is always a bit laggy even when not using skin selection. It has to do with the internal Blender’s dependency graph I guess.

Hi Lucky,

I get a lot of this :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/colonel/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/skin_selection_1_05.py”, line 706, in modal
ss_obj_temp.data.polygons[idx].select = True
IndexError: bpy_prop_collection[index]: index 1103 out of range, size 1024

when in “start” mode and right-clicking on the object. Any idea ?

Oops, something definitely went wrong, sorry to hear that. Does it happen on a specific model? Is it possible to upload the blend file to check it?

Skin Selection 1.06 has been released, now supporting Subsurf + OpenSubdiv for a smoother viewport!

I have been looking for an easy way to do this! Now I can purchase yet another useful add-on from you!

I really am happy with the tools that you have been working on for us fellow TDs / animators.

Hey thedaemon, thanks for your feedback and support! Blender is a really great tool and I love developing for it.

Where do you want bug reports for this?

I have these issues so far:

1. I use alt+a to playback my animation in the viewport. If you press alt+a again, or ESC to stop animation you get errors.

2. If you change viewport or layout view while in Skin Selection mode, it bugs out as well.

3. You cannot use the [ and ] shortcuts and have the skin selection move with the hotkeys.