Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Future of Blender as an industry tool

Originally Posted by AlmaTalp View Post
    No parametric modeling, no non-destructive workflow. Adding these will a give a boost to Blender's reputation.
    Nobody care about parametric modeling in any other software except houdini, and the "non-destructive" workflow in all software is an empty word because 3DsMax have the more painful modifier system in the world, destroy your work (seams, custom normals, smoothing groups,...) in each operation... and user talk about the non-destructive workflow like if they use it.

Originally Posted by DcVertice View Post
    Nobody care about parametric modeling in any other software except houdini, and the "non-destructive" workflow in all software is an empty word because 3DsMax have the more painful modifier system in the world, destroy your work (seams, custom normals, smoothing groups,...) in each operation... and user talk about the non-destructive workflow like if they use it.
    Parametric modeling could include many things. Houdini is wan of the concepts, keeping meshes parametrically editable through the workflow (Max concept) is another. From archviz aspect Max is very capable with this workflow.

3ds Max modifier system could have its flows, but I never had any problem with it for archviz and even in its current state it is more handy then restart everything from the scratch as Blender works.

It is not a coinsidence that other packages try to make something similar (Modo) or earlier LW.

But - of course - this could be the question of favour. I miss 'Edit Poly' modifier since I started Blender, also adding and setting up primitives is a pain IMO.

Anyway, there is a parametric modeling addon on its way for Blender, also a tree modeler addon using parametric approach. I'm happy that these things are happening, I would be also happy with some 'seamless' primitive-based UV modifier (like SureUW, but as a modifier), also with an 'Extrude' modifier.
    Last edited by AlmaTalp; 14-Sep-17 at 10:40.
    Blender + 3DS Max, GTX 1070 + RX 480

Originally Posted by AlmaTalp View Post
    Parametric modeling could include many things. Houdini is wan of the concepts, keeping meshes parametrically editable through the workflow (Max concept) is another. From archviz aspect Max is very capable with this workflow.

3ds Max modifier system could have its flows, but I never had any problem with it for archviz and even in its current state it is more handy then restart everything from the scratch as Blender works.

It is not a coinsidence that other packages try to make something similar (Modo) or earlier LW.
    It is a secondary feature, few people use this and it is not useful in three normal works

I understand that very well, it's just not industry standard. When everybody customize their own versions, you open a big can of worms.
    The biggest hurdle is really the first one you encounter, the interface and navigation. I am currently more and more used to the software for home use, and I really can't see it spreading on a big scale as it is right now, even if sporadic work use is more than possible. Having by default right clicking for selection is ludicrous.
    Asking companies to transfer all their tools to a new platform and to find employees being proficient at using it is also a major issue (the navigation not helping for the latest).

I don't know what 'three normal works' mean, maybe my fault. What does it mean? Thanks.

A corrector error

Thx. What did you want to say?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123