Help creating windows in subdivided cylinder.

Hello,
I am a HS senior self illustrating a book on deep sea life in traditional 2D. I need to build a 3D model of a submarine to insert into the 2D scenes, however I am very, very new to blender, and 3D modelling in general.

I managed to deform a cylinder into the basic fusiform submarine shape; see Sub Attempt best slightly diff backup_bse-fixed (1).blend (430 KB)

However I have been stuck trying to create windows of the type seen on the submarine “DVS Alvin” along the front and sides.
Can someone explain (or demonstrate) to me the method used to create these beveled circular indentations without disrupting the subsurface modifier or the underlying topology?,

I have tried:
Knife project
Using the Boolean modifier
using Looptools to create a circular window, this works the best but causes slight but noticeable distortions in the model on rendering.
I will keep asking/learning on the forums in the mean time, but I thought I’d try my luck here all the same.
Thank you!!

Edit: I might as we add, if anyone is able to help me with this I could attribute them as “3D Graphics Artist” in the acknowledgements section. Who knows, my book might do well and that might end up being worth something:)

Attachments

Boolean could work if paired with a bevel to reinforce the outer edges. You could use 2 intersecting UV spheres then add a transparent plane for the glass window. If you are using blender 2.78 or graeter the boolean modifier comes with a slightly smarter “bmesh” option, make sure its toggled to that to limit the number of edges created. Hope this helps.

Newbie K,

This is just a simple model, I have not included details on it, but it is something like this you are looking for?

This is a kind of quick model, but similar to what is in the picture. I used the boolean tools and a sphere to get the initial shape in the side. Is this kind of what you were going for?

Here is a quick version similar to the picture you posted. I used boolean and a sphere to get the initial shape in the side. Is this kind of like what you were looking for?

You know this doesn’t go in the Volunteer Work category right?

Yes, It would appear that this is similar to what I meant!

Yes, absolutely!, except Without the raised outer ring. Could you provide a step by step elaboration of how to make do this?

Could you provide detailed instructions on how to achieve this result?

It turns out that this is more of a support thread than a job offering. Moved from “Jobs > Volunteer Work” to “Support > Modeling”

using Looptools to create a circular window, this works the best but causes slight but noticeable distortions in the model on rendering.

It all depends on what YOU want. If you think that path works/looks the best for you, you can attempt that, and before rendering, maybe use “mark sharp” on the outside “edges” of the circular window, and render to see if that gives you a better result.

I dont know if you need to be able to see inside of the mesh or not. but one way to do it would be to create your window shape, and then use the shrinkwrap modifier to make it adhere to the outside of the submarine. Apply the modifier, extrude out a little bit, then extrude the inner window faces in, put a glossy material on there, and you got yourself a reflecting window. If you need a visible interior from the exterior. Hollow out whatever space you need on the inside, and use that same window shape, but this time made into a slightly larger object, to boolean into the cabin.