1 2.22%
  • kshaw

0 0%
  • Miatpi

2 4.44%
  • NATIVO

3 6.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ah, I hadn't thought about that. I feel like too much newb to be submitting there yet, maybe after a few more projects. Nah I'm not really worried about winning or losing, I am honestly surprised I got votes, I'm contempt with what I got. I just thought it was funny since I lost by a single vote last time... Ah the story of my life Anyways, I'm hyped for the next contest... I hope it's a good theme.

@fulip: That's an interesting node setup. I'm particularly curious about the logic of connecting the colour output of the wave texture into the vector input of a Voronoi. I tried to mess around a bit, but I couldn't understand how RGB is converted to an UV coordinate by Blender. In this specific case where you use black and white, the Voronoi texture seems to simulate a colour ramp with many alternations between black and white.

Did you find this out by trial and error, or is there some intuition behind connecting the output of a texture into the vector input of another?

@Fulip that metal N5 plate on the skull, is that a reference to Mass Effect? I'm thinking yes, but I don't know...

Originally Posted by robproctor83 View Post
    Dang that's gonna be funny if I lose by a single vote again.
    A lot can happen in two hours... :-)

@Hiryuusan
    No expense was spared
    A good Jurassic Park quote works every time. I just bought the book last week. I don't know how often I have seen that movie, but (until now) I never read the book. It is a lot of fun reading through all the differences!

Originally Posted by Millani View Post
    Helge: Really nice use of lighting. The details of the bones are very nice, and I also like how the bones in the front look like swords. Pretty cool idea!
    Thanks a lot! And thanks for writing all the reviews. This really invigorates (does that word make sense in this context?) the voting threads. Thumbs up!

Originally Posted by Miatpi View Post
    Better? (I definitely think so)
    Very nice. The update was well worth the effort. And I think is still has some animation/cartoonish quality to it. I almost can hear it say "Muuuurrrrray!" (Monkey Island - if anyone (apart from Millani) remembers that). ;-)

Originally Posted by Millani View Post
    @fulip: That's an interesting node setup. I'm particularly curious about the logic of connecting the colour output of the wave texture into the vector input of a Voronoi.[...]
    You can have a lot of fun with that. The technique has been around for some time now and it is very simple/fast to generate some nice effects with it.

There even is a Quick Tip on this on Youtube: Blur and Distortion in Cycles Materials, which is based on Bartek Skorupa's BCon14-talk Manipulate texture coordinates like a boss.
    Last edited by Helge; 13-Sep-17 at 16:50.

Hi Everyone!
    Unfortunately I am little late trying to create a skull steampunkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Steampunk_Skull.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	498198Pure Cycles filmic 500 samples(only procedural textures,in addition to hdri lighting)

There even is a Quick Tip on this on Youtube: Blur and Distortion in Cycles Materials, which is based on Bartek Skorupa's BCon14-talk Manipulate texture coordinates like a boss.
    Wow, I never knew. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Helge View Post
    Thanks a lot! And thanks for writing all the reviews. This really invigorates (does that word make sense in this context?) the voting threads. Thumbs up!
    My pleasure. I must say I also learn by spending some time analysing each entry. I it interesting to see that some pictures which at first glance look kind of "meh" are actually pretty good but get kind of ruined by bad composition (e.g., lighting, saturation...).

I just wish more people would write comments (not that I'm judging anyone, of course). The voting system gives us a very poor idea of how good each entry is, and sometimes all we need in order to improve is one person telling us "you're doing X well, but Y and Z are wrong.".

Originally Posted by Helge View Post
    You can have a lot of fun with that. The technique has been around for some time now and it is very simple/fast to generate some nice effects with it.
    Indeed. There was I, saying to myself I would just check how the weekend challenge is going and then it is enough computer for the day, and what do I find? Two hours later and I'm still playing around with blender

And... the winner of Weekend Challenge 742 with 24.44% of the votes is... Fulip!
    Here's to all the great participators...

Anouar Art : 0 : 0%
    FlyingBanana : 1 : 2.22%
    LeoBlenderToon : 0 : 0%
    astiero : 7 : 15.56%
    joshwinkler3d : 0 : 0%
    Photox : 2 : 4.44%
    purbosky : 0 : 0%
    Hiryuusan : 1 : 2.22%
    Fulip : 11 : 24.44%
    Simeneta : 3 : 6.67%
    fcharr : 0 : 0%
    Kampus : 0 : 0%
    appie.123 : 0 : 0%
    HISEROD : 3 : 6.67%
    Millani : 0 : 0%
    robproctor83 : 10 : 22.22%
    caz747 : 1 : 2.22%
    fdo : 0 : 0%
    DM9 : 1 : 2.22%
    kshaw : 0 : 0%
    Miatpi : 2 : 4.44%
    NATIVO : 3 : 6.67%

Archeology secrets

Dangit a single vote lol. Well fullip u better pick a good theme

If it was me, I would make the next theme: close but no cigar my friend!

Oh str11 really cool piece. I love the steampunk concept. You also have a good render and lightning, very impressed. My only critique other than being late is the gears. they are way too large to go with the skull and you should probably have a few varying sizes, maybe also a couple nuts and bolts.

@Millani Thanks for your feedback, glad my entry was amusing - relying on just votes can make it hard to determine people's response to an entry. There were again plenty of good entries, it can be time consuming/hard to make comments on them all, all the time.
    Maybe include a simple single word pro/cons? Pro: Rendering, Modelling | Cons: Lighting, Composition?

Well done @Fulip

Oh str11 really cool piece. I love the steampunk concept. You also have a good render and lightning, very impressed. My only critique other than being late is the gears. they are way too large to go with the skull and you should probably have a few varying sizes, maybe also a couple nuts and bolts.
    Totally agree with you about the surrounding scene (this could be done more interesting), but due to lack of time it was necessary to minimize it
    Dangit a single vote lol. Well fullip u better pick a good theme
    It's a pity that you did not win(.In case of a victory you, certainly, would assign an interesting topic.
    Last edited by str11; 14-Sep-17 at 02:50.

Thank you all.

@Millani as Helge said, i found this idea on youtube, and i play with it a little bit.

@robproctor83 Yes, a little bit to Mass Effect, and Nexus from Blade Runner.

@joshwinkler3d Thanks!

Really nice work guys!

Luminary on Blender Cycles

Architecture Interior Scene with Cycles in Blender 2.78c.

Luminary and concrete wall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-09-14 at 18.41.12.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	498462

Acoimbraf, cool pic but why did you post it on here?

Incredible!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12