armature letters

My question is the following : can I pose an armature on letter to animate them?

I have tried to amuse me with armatures but it doesn’t work.

If yes, what option have I to choose in Ctrl + P window.

Thanks to you,

A+

No blend file, no images, hard to help you…

But - you can have separate letters as objects - with a bone for each letter - to parent them: Select Object, SHIFT+Select correct bone, use CTRL+P => “Bone” - this parents the complete object to the selected bone.

Cheers, Clock.

Hi all,

I wanted to animate my letter with the bones.
A little like this:

Unfortunetally, the letter doesn’t folow the bone.
I’ve done Ctrl+p > bones but it doesn’t work.

Thanks to you,

A+

Do you have un-applied rotations or scales? This is the most common fault here, or otherwise as I am in Russia with just my phone I cannot look at any files until I get home.

Cheers, Clockski.

Hi all,

My question is the following : I want to create a letter with armatures and animate the letter like if the she were walking (like for the letter M in the following letters animation ).
I’d like to desplace the sides of the M, like if it were walking.

Your help is welcome,

What I want to do is the following animation :

A+

So, the first thing is your mesh needs to be a properly constructed mesh, with enough vertices to be able to deform it, ideally I would make it three dimensional, then you can do a parent CTRL+P => “Automatic Weights” - not Bone as Bone parents the entire mesh in one go to one bone, so when you move that bone, the whole mesh moves. So first construct the letter, then post the blend file here and I will look at it. Then we will discuss the parenting…

Here’s a clue:

One is the base mesh, the second on the right has a Sub-Division Mod so is smooth.

Cheers, Clock.

I think the main issue here is that julien is trying to rig a “text” object, which is tricky because a “text” object is not a mesh object so a traditional weight or bone based skinning doesn’t work. It might work with a bone envelope skinning, but it’s still tricky and not very adapted.

IMO the best solution is simply to convert the text object into a mesh object via Alt C → Mesh from curve/meta/surf/text/. Once your text is converted, a little topology rework will be needed, but you will be able to do a proper skinning based on weights.