Vertices appearing randomly after boolean mod

Hey, y’all.

I’m trying to figure out how to make a Greek/Roman style column. One way I found was to make the column, scale faces inward, then apply a subdivision surface modifier to smooth it out and it does OK. I would link the page, but I can’t find it for some reason.

Anyways. I’m trying to do it with an array and boolean modifier, to learn more about blender. The problem is that edges/vertices appear randomly after the mod is applied.

I’ve tried fiddling with the scales of everything, but I always end up with an array putting the object JUST off of center. The measurements to tweak out the object arrayed either too far or too close to the previous arrayed object. Which puts the whole group of objects off center…creating the problem.

THIS LINK is where I found the “tutorial” on how to do this.

Here is a pic of the problem I’m talking about, with some of the vertices marked, as well as the blend file.

Is there a better way of doing what I’m trying to do, like locking the position of an object to face of another object and then repeat it, or do I simply need to keep fiddling with the settings???

BEFORE the boolean mod applied blend file.
Array_Empty.blend (1.37 MB)

AFTER the boolean mod applied blend file.
Array and Empty1.blend (1.52 MB)

Wow. A video response. Very cool and thanks. I will link it for future reference.

Now the reason why the edges are a problem, is because when I try to use ANY form of object softener, either the smooth tool or the sub surface, the object gets twisted. I wish I had shown a screen cap of it at first. It’s a problem when trying to texture it.

I found the link HERE to the version where scaling faces was used to make a column. The information is towards the bottom at post #20. That style of modeling allows me to use the smooth tool and sub surf mod, but the result isn’t as accurate/precise as to what I’m trying to do.

Here are some pics showing the problem I’m talking about.

Result from using the boolean in the blend file you used in the video.

Result from using the face scaling idea.
Blend file for the one below.
Gladius6.blend (7.82 MB)

I had not seen this addon, thanks for making this video!