Pinning Vertices

Hi, so this question isn’t related to a specific problem, I’m wondering if a tool exists. This is what I want to be able to achieve: To mask/pin vertices in edit mode for modeling purposes. So far the only way I’ve been able to do this is by hiding the vertices, this is unsuitable in many cases though since I want to see the vertices. Does anyone know how to do this (hidden tool or add-on maybe?)?
Any help would be appreciated.

thought I’d give this a bump

Should I conclude that such a tool doesn’t exist? Seems like a simple and useful thing to make though

Hiding is usually enough. It’s possible to make vertices stuck with shape keys, vertex group to limit which ones get affected.

Ok, the shapekey method seems a bit too complicated to be worth it. Thanks though.

This would be so useful in so many ways.
Especially for those of us who want to mix up messy things like sculpting with super precision things like vertex alignment.

So, my particular problem I was having, has been solved by what are called face sets in Blender 2.83. I love Blender. they make dreams come true, and they did it in a more elegant and intuitive way than I would have.