Blender Viewport Lagging, Using <10% of Ryzen 7 1700X CPU

I am running Blender 2.79 on a custom Windows 10 Pro build with 32 GB of RAM, two Nvidia Titan Xp’s, and a liquid-cooled Ryzen 7 1700X CPU. Initial tests of the new configuration showed no significant increase in viewport performance, which I found odd, considering my old computer’s processor had only 4 cores and 4 threads. Now, I find that when working with an object with a decent amount of vertices, Blender completely freezes on any operation. Checking Task Manager reveals that Blender is not using more than 10% of my CPU at any given time, and less than half my RAM. As you can imagine, this is a problem, as this workstation build was expensive and the entire point was to get better performance. Help is greatly appreciated.

for starters, blenders viewport is simply slow and old.

second, amd ryzen 7 x1700x has a fairly low single threaded performance, and most things in blender are single threaded. what was your old cpu?

So how are things now?

Hi there, I’m experiencing viewport lagging while modeling as well.

Blender 2.83
Windows 10
64Gb RAM
Ryzen 3950x with liquid cooling
RTX 2080Ti

It lags more with this configuration than with my previous Intel i7 5820K. Does anyone have a clue of what might be causing this? It’s getting a bit frustrating.

*note: when I restart the PC it seems to work smoothly for the first minutes, then it starts lagging again every 20-30 seconds, the viewport freeze for about 3 seconds. ARGH

Thank you
Andrea

Is this a specific scene or every scene? Your current CPU should certainly be faster than your previous one, however in specific cases the 5820k’s architectural design can have it’s advantages.

Still it’s worth considering that depending on what kind of complex scene you are working on both cpus would have a hard time with it. More of a blender issue and less of a specific cpu issue then.

Hey Felix, thanks for your answer. In this specific case I was just moving bones of a simple human armature around in edit mode, so nothing so heavy. There must be some issue with my system but I have no clue of what might be.

Is there a subdiv modifier on the character? If so, that is the likely culprit. Note that the subdiv modifier is under going some work to fix, improve and optimize.

Similar issue here. For some reason, when I play the animation in view port (solid mode), blender suddenly decided to lag as crazy although I baked all physics.
Blender runs with 3 FPS (30 FPS is set in Scene Tab). Blender File is about 1GB now.
CPU and RAM usage while playing animation are 20% and 10% so I assume that blender has a problem with handling such large project files.

It helps if I re-open the file and play the animation but at some point I am back at 3 FPS again, so I re-open the file and gain and again…very annoying.

If you can afford to do so you might want to report it as a bug and share your file with the developers via the tracker.