Unable to add text to surface

Hey, y’all.

I’ve been trying to add text to a modified objects surface and nothing seems to work.

Not embossing, not knife projecting, NOTHING.

I tried using the embossing tutorial HERE, but either I missed a step, the instructions are out of date with the current blender, or it just can’t be done with the object I have…which seems weird. But I’m still very new to blender, so there’s that.

I’ve tried knife projecting, but that failed as well. I can’t find the damned page with the instructions I used, so bear with me. Below are some before/after pics of knife projecting. The basics of what I remember was to create the text, move it into position, select the text then select the target object, go to edit mode, select knife projection from the tools menu.

Have I missed a step??? Are the instructions incorrect???

Thank you everyone for your help. I’m trying really hard to get proficient with blender, but damn can it be annoying sometimes.

Blender file Tennis_Ball6.blend (8 MB).

BEFORE projection

AFTER projection

Use alt+c to convert your text into a mesh before knife projecting

https://i.imgur.com/33H0uVP.png

But isn’t the knife projection supposed to cut the surface behind the projection, relative to the thickness of the text, or am I missing something???

I’m not 100% sure I understand you but hopefuly this helps.

First, I just realised my screenshot doesn’t show it being cut, so yes it does cut the surface behind the projection, here it is again with the cutout deleted (I turned the modifiers off so you could see it better)

https://i.imgur.com/p3xvGhK.png

My understanding is that it will simply cut into the shape kinda like a pastry cutter would. I do not believe it takes the thickness into account at all. There is an option when you press the tool for “cut through”, making it cut through the entire object so you have RANGER cut from the back side aswell, regardless of the thickness of the text.

When I need to cut only specific bits, I usually hide all the stuff I don’t want cut and then use cut through.

I do not believe it takes the thickness into account at all. There is an option when you press the tool for “cut through”, making it cut through the entire object, regardless of the thickness of the text.

EDIT: Just in case you didn’t know, I thought I should add that the knife project is using whats on the screen, and by this I mean you want to zoom in as much as possible (and it will only cut what is in view). I did a cut zoomed really far out and you can see it becomes really inaccurate.