Why did you became an artist?

I’ve just realized that I never wanted something. Everything I did was “because I should”. But I should nothing.
Oh yeah, there was some attemps to do something that’s “just fun”. But I was getting into so much technical details that it quickly lose all its fun.
All things what I did were “let’s do something like that”. I see something cool and think “can I do like him?” But there’s no more adequate reason to ever do something.
And also, if you just copy, it isn’t worth it. Translation? Yeah I do that. But that didn’t made me happier.
Is there a reason in the life? I didn’t asking you if life has a reason, because it’s not.
Still don’t want to die, because I want nothing.
No that’s not exactly true. I want to ask some questions.
First one: why did you became an artist?
Second one: how to undistort image using curved lines, in Python? OpenCV, maybe? But how it works?
Third one: is there a reason in the life?
Fourth one: how to draw ocean?
Fifth one: what should be in a good picture, if should is appropriate?
Sixth one: what is “detailed” and how to achieve that?
Seventh one: how to correctly draw a line? No, really. Lips and nose for example.
Eight one: what is “appealing”. And don’t give me a page from the dictionary.
Ninth one: what is the meaning of color?
10. Does anyone of you really knows what does eagle mean?
That’s all for today.

I became an artist because it was one of the few places as a child that I could be free. I could create worlds in which people loved each other and accepted each other for what they were. I could create worlds where I was loved instead of hated. I could create worlds where I was noticed and recognized for my kindness and talents.

I could portray my thoughts and feelings through imagery. I could just enjoy things for once.

I became an artist because I feel free, and I enjoy it.

“Fifth one: what should be in a good picture, if should is appropriate?”

It depends on the purpose of the image. What makes fine imagery is when the image portrays its purpose clearly and artistically.

“Sixth one: what is “detailed” and how to achieve that?”

Detailed is paying attention to the little things. Emptiness is what makes faulty games and films, when you are aware of the bare-bones feeling to them. Detailed is the essence you notice when you start to see the little things the creator put into their work.

1 - I was looking for beauty. (not found)
2 - Math: matrixes and tensors.
3 - No, but you can still have fun.
4 - I prefer to do it with a pencil, since CFD is very slow.
5 - A professor of mine told me once: A good picture is when what it represents, how it is made off and how people feel it, make together what you were trying to transmit.
6 - Details are only need to fill the void of perception (i.e.: a person who can’t read needs details that are not transmitted in letters)
7 - There’s no such thing as perfection! You can draw a nose with all the lines in the world or/and you can ‘draw’ a nose without drawing it.
8 - Another statistical question. Some group of persons might like Anime, some might like XX Century Russian stop-motion, some might not like anything at all.
9 - In a physical way, color is the percieved combination of different radiation frequencies. How one can percieve that can be particular. (in the end, «Color» is only on our minds).
10 - It’s a combination of 5 characters. In English can mean a bird, but meaning is allways very cultural dependent (as most of the answer you’re posing!)

Fixed your questions.

• Why did you became an artist?
  • How can you un-distort an image?
  • Is there a reason behind life?
  • How to draw oceans?
  • What a good picture, if should is appropriate?
  • What is “detailed”? I can’t even
  • How to correctly draw a line? No, really. No. No wait. Really, what is a line?
  • What is “appealing”. And don’t just give me a page from the dictionary. I want whole dictionary.
  • What is the meaning of color?
  • What eagle?

So, those are some pretty difficult questions. Let’s see how I do.

• To make procedural generated vases. That’s how the motivation tarted anyway.
  • Map the image onto a subdivided plane, and then distort the plane until the image distortion goes away.
  • To worship God, and be cherished in return.
  • From underwater.
  • One that reflects at least a little light, and a little meaning.
  • This question needs more of it.
  • Draw a curve. Then use less control points. Keep using less control points until the curve is just wrong, then back up a step.
  • Fractal truth.
  • Red is the color of blood, destruction, and vitality. Green is the color of creation, growth, and replication. Blue is the color of exploration, vastness, and possibility.
  • On a cliff is his home, his mountain fortress.

1. Why did you became an artist?
I wanted to bring what I had in mind to life and I didn’t believe writing was a career option at the time.

2. How to undistort image using curved lines, in Python? OpenCV, maybe? But how it works?

3. Is there a reason in the life?

4. How to draw an ocean?

It’s style and technique based. You’ll have to be more specific than this.

5. What should be in a good picture, if should is appropriate?
A good image communicates something. A technical drawing communicates the parts and proportions of something. A moving painting communicates emotions. A good storytelling illustration is a mix of the two. Whatever you’re doing you’re communication something.

6. What is “detailed” and how to achieve that?
Uh. You need to be more specific again. Do you mean details as something full of tiny patterns and lines or transmitting in-depth knowledge? A character can wear a detailed coat with a complex pattern that means nothing, or s/he can wear clothing that is detailed because it means something, because the type of gloves, shoes, fabrics used, cut inform the type of life the character leads. “Detailed” can’t be directly translated to “good” if all it does is create background noise.

7. How to correctly draw a line? No, really. Lips and nose for example.
And who said there’s a right way? Again it’s style based. It depends on what you’re trying to communicate. It needs to be identified as lips and nose and it needs to say what you’re trying to tell, may it be an emotion (eg cute, anime) or character background (eg ethnic trait, realism).

8. What is “appealing”. And don’t give me a page from the dictionary.
Good, because I can’t give you a physical dictionary page through the internet. I’m sure you already know taste varies. What’s appealing to you might not be appealing to me.

If you’re trying to discover what the majority of your target audience finds appealing then you simply need to research. Discover what’s popular and identify the traits that make it popular.

9. What is the meaning of color?
Everything—for me at least, who heavily uses color in my work to tell things. It defines the shapes, it creates mood, it moves the viewer and it’s always holding hands with light, because colors are light.

10. Does anyone of you really knows what does eagle mean?
Bird. What sort of question is this? Because this isn’t the meaning you’re looking for it doesn’t make it any less of a “true” meaning of the word. Words are abstract concepts. Life will become easier if you stop trying to categorize everything into wrong vs right and find the One True Meaning.

I became an artist because it was one of the few places as a child that I could be free

For me, only place I could be free is backyard, where no children were. Also, there was chorus. All the kids were screaming loud and falsely, I had headaches, and I just wished to just press that button on a piano. All fun that I have there: once I took a wire, opened someone else car toy and closed the contacts, then closed. So I turned on a car without a key.
Last time I drew something and didn’t cared if that realistic was two. Since nobody has told me about vanishing points, I wasn’t loved drawing for years. Since three I can hear music in my head. However I didn’t knew the notes, and my glockenspiel didn’t have black keys. Also it was hard for hands to do beats in identical time. And I didn’t like how glockenspiel sounds. Today I have EasyABC and LMMS.
Still, in 8 I was able to draw caricatures pretty well. But it wasn’t realistic.

It depends on the purpose of the image. What makes fine imagery is when the image portrays its purpose clearly and artistically

For example?

Detailed is paying attention to the little things

Like tying your character’s shoelaces? Like wrinkles of the face? Like pockets painted on cloth? Can’t imagine another little things. Thanks anyway. However, the more detail I add, the less natural it looks, and each detail takes as much time as whole picture without details.

A professor of mine told me once: A good picture is when what it represents, how it is made off and how people feel it, make together what you were trying to transmit

I don’t have much ideas to transmit. Where do you find them?
That’s how I think: first give it a title, “The Descent of Rome”, for example, and only then do it.
But I’ve never did it that way. Usually I just do a bunch of assets and then trying to put it together.
Or just copying from a photo.

Details are only need to fill the void of perception

So instead of the flat wall I should add bump, rust and dirt. Maybe moss.
But I mean something else. Once I was asked to do a model of a mage from Final Fantasy. When I did it he said that it wasn’t detailed. Say, that is the reference:

The original files are lost, but I quickly did that again. Of course i did it differently and much faster.

The texture wasn’t grainy. It was made just from 11 clean colors. Tiled textures were applied with stencil and multiply mode. Then I’ve been told that texture isn’t detailed. And it has manually modeled laces, holes and belt. Today I think it’s better to paint them because it’s a game model. And it doesn’t have hidden parts, unlike original.
Add: then I started to add subsurf levels and sculpted. But instead of adding wrinkles and patches I added different types of noise. Nobody said me “open your eyes and look that you’re doing shit”. I really believed that light will change everything (I was having old videocard that corrupted preview when sculpting). Well it changed - to worse. Then I added a displace modifier and returned “more detailed” model. I was sent to the f**k.
Fingers and toes are still difficult for me. I can model animals like this:

(That one without hair)
But I have never succeeded in modeling humans.

This question needs more of it.

Nice joke.

Draw a curve. Then use less control points. Keep using less control points until the curve is just wrong, then back up a step

Wait, do I remember it from somewhere? Ah, it was when I was trying to vectorize raster.
Thanks, I’ll remember it again.

Red is the color of blood, destruction, and vitality. Green is the color of creation, growth, and replication. Blue is the color of exploration, vastness, and possibility.

You mean, death, growth and birth? That reminds me of a game:

Strange: R-evenge, G-rowth, B-irth. К-ровь, З-релость.
To be continued.

I don’t like “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”. Mice are mice, not aliens.

A good image communicates something. A technical drawing communicates the parts and proportions of something. A moving painting communicates emotions. A good storytelling illustration is a mix of the two. Whatever you’re doing you’re communication something.

And the image of the kitten communicates what? Maybe its friskiness, firmness and cuteness? Or it depends on the context?

Everything—for me at least, who heavily uses color in my work to tell things. It defines the shapes, it creates mood, it moves the viewer and it’s always holding hands with light, because colors are light

Well, I already know that changing the color of the scene means change of light. But all my 2D paintings seem to be lit with white hemi lamp. Maybe I should add a shading layer, say, in grain merge for bump, multiply for shadow and screen for specular, each filled with some color.

Bird. What sort of question is this? Because this isn’t the meaning you’re looking for it doesn’t make it any less of a “true” meaning of the word. Words are abstract concepts. Life will become easier if you stop trying to categorize everything into wrong vs right and find the One True Meaning.

Well, you understood me. I don’t watch TV. I don’t read newspapers, however sometimes I want to. I don’t seek for news in Internet. And I didn’t even see news around myself. I don’t have any friends in my city. And even if I had, I don’t know what to do with them. I can’t just walk to someone on the street and ask how he’s doing. I don’t know what’s happening in my city. I didn’t knew that there’s a forest to the west before I looked yesterday at Google Earth.
So I’m getting a very little information everyday. I’m lucky even if have just one meaning because I have no meaning for most things.
I really have nothing to communicate.
Add: i’ve just read that people rather communicate feelings than facts. But I rarely have feelings.
About oceans.

https://www.google.ru/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiltZDaltTWAhWhYZoKHax-AVkQjBwIBA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fuploads3.wikiart.org%2Fimages%2Fivan-aivazovsky%2Fthe-wrath-of-the-seas-1886.jpg&psig=AOvVaw2swaWjwY4Wq5GxYK5vdRS9&ust=1507110612477209
https://www.google.ru/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiltZDaltTWAhWhYZoKHax-AVkQjBwIBA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fuploads3.wikiart.org%2Fimages%2Fivan-aivazovsky%2Fthe-wrath-of-the-seas-1886.jpg&psig=AOvVaw2swaWjwY4Wq5GxYK5vdRS9&ust=1507110612477209
I’ve copied that here.

The technique is photon mapping, or radial gradients. Is there a better?
Well, then I should tell why I became an artist. I wanted to make a game. But I’ve overestimated myself. I have no idea what my game will be about. I think I should learn OpenGL.
Look what I found! My old human model.

And more:

When I did that I didn’t knew of Terragen :slight_smile: But in past I have ideas. Today such an idea wouldn’t came up to my mind, and if, I’ll mark it as impossible. But that is really, really easy because it has just one tree. If I randomize the colors, illusion of forest wil be complete. Still have to edit rocks, though.

Updated the kitten.

Well, about the previous picture. That’s the leaf:

Awful, yeah? However in that scale even hexagon will do.

Detail is almost never necessarily wrinkles, but having depth. For example, you can see through every building in a scene instead of just a picture of a window.

Or a plane flying in the distant background.

Or a character’s outfit being well imagined, and non-generic.

I see myself as a design engineer not an artist

if you think too much you will become philosopher,not artist.:slight_smile:

will to be honest I because both an artist and a writer because I used to watch moves games and cartoons, and sadly non of there endings are actually great, I didn’t like them like really that’s why I became an artist to do my own, about your answers I already did answered the first didn’t understand the 2nd 3rd one yes, there us, wee live not for our selfs but for other’s too, which means the meaning of life is at least make someone happy, 4 - make something that look like it, art is about fantasy, not about real things, so as long as people can say that’s an ocean5 - I don’t know 6- details are the very things that makes something recognizable and makes it come out, like, eye brows that make a face a real face, or toes that makes you say these are feet the moment you see them ,just look at things alot and you’ll get there, 7- line’s are easy to be made you dont need to make them perfectly just do something good 8- I don’t know 9- I don’t know 10- I don’t know we are not perfect, only Angeles are, humans made to make mistakes, and it’s not about the mistake you did, it’s about what are you going to do after you did it,:slight_smile:

I’m a failed artist. It really sucks to see your dream fail and you’re not the dreaming hoping artist that you once were. I loved art because it was mine. I made it. I created it. While I was dreaming everyone moved on with their life. They had jobs with good pay and I was scraping on the bottom for crap jobs. Hoping one day I would get my dream a reality. I did try. It wasn’t enough.

It really sucks because there is no “it will get better” or “Don’t worry, you’ll get there”. I just wasn’t good enough.

When I look in finished projects I see talent but it’s unpolished. It’s like they stopped at 99m of a 100m race. I really wish no one becomes me. I want everyone to succeed.

Thinking doesn’t make one a philosopher, more an idiot, a computer, a robot, a machine… Contemplate based off experience. Reflect through existence.

Nothing is final.
Garden. Fish. Love. - Express & share.
Move on, pass it on.

1. I was born a artist, and simply did not let the world extinguish my creativity or my curiosity.

2. python and lerp and then resample

3.To create, to bring others joy and find joy in it, and to protect.
(each other, animals and the world)

1. shading and lots of time and a deep understanding of light
    (reflect, refract, soft shadow etc)

5.Originality

6.detailed is when one perceives every shape, form, and shade of a object and captures it in their style.

1. trial and error

2. something that appealing speaks to your heart, mind, body or soul.
    you long for it when it’s absent.

9.color is derived from the absorbing and emmision of photons,
different elements absorb and emit different wavelengths under different circumstances.

1. Egalitarianism (from French égal, meaning ‘equal’) – or equalitarianism – is a school of thought that prioritizes equality for all people. Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status, according to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

It pains me to admit that 13-year old me learned Blender for Minecraft animations. I don’t know how I ever evolved from that to making my own models and going deeper into Blender, but now I’m just taking advantage of a skill I learned.

it’s a hobby

IDK
:spin:
have i-?

Talk about an ecclectic selection of questions. :slight_smile: Let me start off with the more abstract ones and work my way down to the concrete.

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF COLOR?

In scientific terms, color is all about the way light moves through a medium and reflects back to us. In a more artistic sense, color can be about temperature and mood.

Certain colors can be cold or hot. Others can be earthy or energetic. Colors can impact you psychologically, making you hungry, angry, or even sympathetic. Colors, like people, can play well with each other or simply conflict and distract.

Color itself is also a bit of science and philosophy all wrapped up in one. There’s a very good reason why color theory one of the first things taught in most art history classes. It’s complex, but fundamental.

IS THERE A REASON IN THE LIFE

Optimistically, I would like to hope so. As a matter of personal opinion, probably not. All I can say is that, rather than looking for some greater meaning to life, I would rather search for purpose in the moments I have in the here and now.

Beyond that, I would rather not turn this into a discussion of faith or religion. We all believe different things and that’s okay. As long as we do so with respect.

HOW TO DRAW OCEAN?

I won’t claim to be the best 2D artist. In fact, even after decades of practice, I kinda suck at drawing. That said, having painted on and off for many years, I can tell you that depicting any good ocean is all about finding that balance between shadows and highlights. Fight your light source and figure out where your ripples go. Just keep in mind that more detail often implies more turbulence and motion.

WHAT IS “APPEALING”. AND DON’T GIVE ME A PAGE FROM THE DICTIONARY.

That is really subjective and can vary from culture to culture. As a New Yorker, my definition of appealing might be far different than that of somebody living in the middle of Tibet. Appealing can depend on how the artist is raised as well as their environment. More over, artistically, one can find a sort of beauty in just about anything. One artist may see beauty in a sea of flowers while another may see it in the chaos of rubble.

There’s really no wrong or right answer here. Aesthetically, there CAN be images that are harmonious or lack it. That, however, is much more often about an emotional response and can stem from colors, element balance, and the subject of the piece.

WHAT IS “DETAILED” AND HOW TO ACHIEVE THAT?

It depends on what you mean? Are we talking about realism or believability?

If we’re talking about realism then detail is all about an image being able to be examined and dissected at multiple levels. Realistic skin, for example, would have to accurately absorb light, reflect the multiple levels of complexity inherent in the layers of skin, and render in such a manner as to be indistinguishable from skin in the physical world.

Realism is so difficult to achieve because, even as the tools and methods improve, our ability as humans to spot a fake also becomes better. Even if you’ve gotten an image to be 99% true to the physical world, that remaining 1% will always be the toughest to tick off.

As far as believability goes, that’s less about realism. That’s more about harmony. An anime girl isn’t realstic, but she can be believable if she doesn’t stand out so much as to “break” the scene or that illusion of life. A steampunk armor might not be phyisically realistic, but it can be believable if, as a viewer, we don’t question its ability and right to exist within its own context.

Believability is about the illusion, imo. Something is believable if it keeps the viewer in the moment.

WHAT SHOULD BE IN A GOOD PICTURE, IF SHOULD IS APPROPRIATE?

I don’t think that there is an answer to this, subjective or otherwise. There are pictures that demonstrate more artistic ability, creative thought, and experience. However, there’s no measurable reason why one would say that a painting such as “The Last Supper” is any better or worse than Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2" though. Good all depends on the viewer. IMO, the only truly bad pictures are the ones that you don’t start or finish.

HOW TO UNDISTORT AN IMAGE USING CURVED LINES, IN PYTHON? OPENCV, MAYBE? BUT HOW IT WORKS?

You can’t really get an answer to that question here. It depends on what sort of distortion you’re talking about, where you wish to correct it, your technical ability to accomplish the task, and how much time you have on your hands to achieve the end results.

WHY DID YOU BECOME AN ARTIST?

Short story:
It had all had to do with my childhood love of video games and cartoons.

Longer story:
While they’re everywhere these days, video games were still such a new form of entertainment when I was a kid. I remember being immediately attracted to the likes of arcade classics such as “Centipede” and “Pac-Man.” It wasn’t until 1981 and the introduction of the shooter “Defender” that I realized that I wanted to do something that creative for the rest of my life.

That’s why, shortly after my 8th birthday, my dad bought me a Commodore 64 computer. I became obsessed with learning to program and create that sort of game. It wasn’t too long after that I made my first game, a “Defender” clone I called “Space Case,” using a combination of BASIC and C64 ASM language. It wasn’t spectacular, but it was all mine and taught me the power of art and technology.

My journey since then looked a bit like this…

- AGE 10 (1984): Got a KoalaPad digitizer, similar in concept to today’s Wacom Intuos, and learned to make pixel art in programs like Deluxe Paint.
- AGE 12 (1986): Got a copy of “Garry Kitchen’s Game Maker” and used it to teach myself about rapid game prototyping. My first game prototype was a 2D sidescroller based on the X-Men comic “New Mutants.”
- AGE 15 (1989): Movies like “The Last Starfighter” and “Labyrinth” got me interested in 3D. I picked up a cheap CAD program and an early text-based raytracer. Did 3D using that sort of tech for a few more years.
- AGE 18 (1992): Learned to use Photoshop, at high school, with v2.0.
- AGE 19 (1993): Went to college to (hopefully) pursue dual major in Computer Science and Physics.
- AGE 20 (1994): Moved away from CAD style modeling and got trueSpace v1.0. That program was so quick and intuitive. I started to learn more about how to model humans and animate them in 3D. I would stay with trueSpace for about 7 more years.
- AGE 23 (1997): Became active in the online CG community under the nick “cookepuss”.
- AGE 27 (2001): Realizing that trueSpace was a dead end and that it didn’t have as much power as I needed, I upgraded to Cinema4D R7.
- AGES 28-33 (2002-2007): As an active member of still relatively new online CG scene, I started doing mod/admin work for the then popular forum CG Chat. During that time period, I wrote articles and product reviews for InsideCG. I was also a frequent judge for and participant in several global game art challenges.
- AGES 33-39 (2007-2013): Still using the name “cookepuss,” I became a frequent contributor and moderator on the now defunct CG community GameArtisans.
- AGE 39 (2013): Started to learn Blender with v2.65

At age 43, I really don’t use “cookepuss” as my nick much these days, preferring to use my real name instead. I still do CG, now at my own game startup studio and working on my first commercial PC game.

In the past I’ve done a wide variety of work including… Web design, Architectural Visualization, Character Modeling and Animation, UI Design, Prepress Layout, CD Cover Art, a little 2D ad layout, ETC and so on.

I’ve also used and owned legit copies of… trueSpace v1-v7, Cinema4D R7-R13, 3dsmax R2-R3, Maya 2013-2017, POV-Ray, Blender v2.65-Current, ZBrush v1.23b-4R8, Marvelous Designer, Headus UVLayout, 3DCoat v3-v4.x, Substance Suite, Marmoset Toolbag, xNormal, Quixel Suite, Lightwave v2015, MOOD, Mirai, Nevercenter Silo v1.00-v2.504, NVil, Hexagon, Carrara, Akeytsu, Deep Paint 3D, Deep UV, and probably a few other programs that I’m forgetting.

It’s amazing how many programs you end up learning and owning over a nearly 30 year period of time.

Most people assume that you can’t master all of those programs, but the fact is: once you master one, learning another program is fairly trivial. Most of the differences tend to be in UI and terminology. However, at the end of they day, there aren’t that many real, practical differences between something like Maya and Blender. Which you choose all comes down to personal preference.

I ended up sticking with Blender simply because I got tired of spending thousands of dollars in upgrades. Most upgrades add very few big new features, but end up costing an arm and a leg. Blender cost nothing, but delivers amazing pro power. It isn’t perfect and could be improved in places, but I’m not going to complain when something this good is costing me nothing. Can’t beat the sticker price.

As for my current PC… Including tablets, laptops, and desktops… I’ve about 9 of them here in my apartment alone. My main art workstation is a modest Dell Alienware Aurora R5 with an Intel i7 6700k 4GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce 970 GTX 4GB, 10TB of HDD storage, Wacom Cintiq 22HD, & Viewsonic 27".

The only apps that I tend to use these days tend to be… Blender, Headus UVLayout, ZBrush 4R8, Marvelous Designer 7, Substance Paint 2017, Adobe CC Suite, Marmoset Toolbag, xNormal, MSVC, & UDK. Sounds like a lot of programs, but it’s a fairly streamlined set. Right tool for the job and such.

My calling turned out to be programming( games and software rendering ), but I’ve always been pulled towards the works of Harryhausen and LucasFilm. Digging into their book and documentaries have been very educational and inspiring.