Hair sprouting out of everywhere instead of scalp

Hey guys. I seem to have a problem on my Blender program that has to do with hair. I would really appreciate it if you could help. Especially since this issue is beginning to bog me down so much that I can’t really continue to work on my model.

No matter what I do the hair continues to come out of everywhere, instead of just the scalp. I’ve tried many different solutions that were supposed to fix this, but my result still looks the same. I selected the scalp’s vertices and assigned it to the group I made in the Vertex Group panel in the Object Data tab. I have Advanced checked on the Particle tab, and I have Hair selected as the Type, and under the Emission panel I have Random selected instead of Jittered. I now have the same group selected in the Density area. I’ve seen people do this same thing in the tutorials and in an instance their hair is only sprouting from the scalp of their model’s head but it’s not working for me. And I copy everything that they do, but mine still doesn’t match theirs.

I would really be grateful if any of you guys could help me with this issue. Also I’m kind of a beginner to this software so forgive me if I’ve overlooked something simple.

Thanks for your time and I can’t wait to see your replies.

Post a simplified blend if you can. Check this, with the vertex group selected, switch to weight paint mode, the scalp should be red, and everything else (non-scalp) blue. If everything is red it means your vertex group contains all vertices, and you need to remove the non scalp verts.

Here’s a link to the screenshot of my problem: https://imgur.com/a/KonXK
Thank you @Photox for replying. I have tried this and the hair still won’t stop coming out of the entirety of the head. I don’t believe I have the all-red issue though. I’ve also tried to do something similar to that in weight paint, which is painting the scalp area red with the rest of the head blue instead of selecting the scalp’s vertices through edit mode. I’ve tried both the weight paint and the edit mode method but I’m afraid it still won’t cooperate.
If you can, please look at the image through the link I provided above and see if you can figure out what the issue could be. Like I said I would be grateful for any help any of you guys could give me. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say my problem sadly is still unsolved and this is pretty much stopping me from continuing on my project. Well I guess I could continue but I would feel better about myself if I could get my model’s hair to act the way it’s supposed to. I’m sure you all understand that. Please guys I know I’m just a noob but I would be thankful if anyone knew the solution to this. Can someone please help me out? Thanks in advance.

Two issues. This is a reason most people make an underlying “hair mesh” Immediately tames unruly hair particles, that want to sprout whereever. Just make a copy of you area, hairline, eyuebrows, eyleashes, etc. Seperate it from main mesh so its a dirferent object. Trust me you’ll be glad you did.

Then slightly shrink the hair object down. so it lies beneath the skin. Add your texture color to the mesh and the hair particles will pick it up.

Second - IF you dont use sperate hair mesh, and are determined to go with main character mesh, the area where you are placing hairs, needs to be subdivided down well. This helps greatly in confining hairs to a border region. Weight painting the area where you seed hairs is vital to controlling spread.