Slavery prices on DECORA.

Hi Community,

I ran into a service, where You can choose an object to model, and off course model it for cash.

But after seeing the prices, I was shocked. Sofas, couches, and so on for prices below 20$? With textures and shading in 3DSMax with Vray?

DO anyone know more about something like this? This should be shut down, or at least boycotted.

The service is DECORA - http://home.decoracontent.com/

I don’t know, but after seeing this I feel very bad, and decide to share, because this is slavery and exploitation of people.

How many years We learn Our skills? And They offer 14$ for leather sofa, with wrinkles, texture and shader?
Something is really wrong.

If they are transparent about the fact that they will sell the models for rock bottom prices (before the artist even does anything), then it’s only a matter of convincing model makers that their talent is worth far more than 14 bucks (and should look at places where they can sell them for as much as they think it’s worth).

Otherwise, if the artist knows beforehand and still signs on to this service, and then complains about how little they are making in cash, then it’s their fault.

There are people who don’t know prices. And it’s not the case, how anyone, anywhere can valuate that type of models ( HIGH QUALITY ) for that low? This type of ventures need to be criticized from many people.

The 3rd world is everywhere…

I’ve seen post on this site (Blender Artist) where someone expected bunch of cars with shaders for 20$. Usually whoever takes such tasks provides models with exactly the same quality. I mean in the end they really look like a 20$ stuff…

There are more sites like that. I’ve seen tons of it where people sell their service for 3 bucks an hour or even less.
It IS a modern form of slavery.
Its disgusting and makes me feel an immense amount of hatred.
People defend it by saying it helps people in 3rd world countries to earn some $$$.
Wouldn’t it help them more if they would get a proper amount of money, not these scraps?

What is a proper amount of money? It all is perception.

Have a look at https://www.worlddata.info/average-income.php to find out the average wage worldwide. Just because you couldnt live off that wage in the country you are from, doesnt mean they cant.

I’ve heard that in some countries like India, people who offer services tend to charge rock bottom prices across the board.

So an artist getting a few sales for those prices can already afford a huge number of services there (that are otherwise rather expensive here in the United States or Europe). You make less dollars overall, but each dollar stretches a lot further in various areas.

Now if you live in the US or Europe, you obviously want to find a place that will allow your model to sell for a lot more, but for artists in other parts of the world, well…

I don’t have a problem with their quoted prices. As doublebishop says, 20 dollars is fair pay for this work in other parts of the world, and it’s not slavery without coercion.

However, their FAQ states:-

“Can I use 3Ds Max student version?
Yes you can, but remember to use the 2016 or 2017 version.”

http://home.decoracontent.com/modeladores-3d-en

I don’t believe the student licences can be used legally for commercial work.

What does an I7 cost in India?
What does a license for Maya cost?

You think Intel sells their processors for 30$ and Autodesk their software for 300$ over there?
Those who own the sites pull lots of money out of the fact that wages are so differently worldwide.
Its parasitic. This shit should be illegal. If i had something to say i would establish a worldwide minimum wage of at least 15$ per hour.

Do you need a i7 to model?

What does a license for Maya cost?

What does blender cost?

You think Intel sells their processors for 30$ and Autodesk their software for 300$ over there?
Those who own the sites pull lots of money out of the fact that wages are so differently worldwide.
Its parasitic. This shit should be illegal. If i had something to say i would establish a worldwide minimum wage of at least 15$ per hour.

Hah, 15$ per hour… just because it should be 15$ an hour in your country doesnt mean it should be worldwide.

Also what currency are we working in? $15 East Caribbean dollar perhaps? that sounds about right.

Do you put a lot of effort into misunderstanding me or is deductive logic just not your thing?
Its not about an I7 or Maya its about the price of things in general.
Huge international operating companies take the same price everywhere while wages are different.
You don’t think that this is a little bit unfair?

East Caribbian Dollar = EC$

15 dollar an hour wages won’t generate wealth. What will happen is that the price of everything will rise in response to higher labor costs (so your purchasing power remains exactly the same as it was when your wage was say, 5 dollars an hour). The only way it would be a real increase is if companies invested in automation so as to only need half the employees (so 15 dollars an hour with a genuine upgrade in purchasing power, if you’re lucky enough to have a job).

Not to mention that many multi-billion dollar companies with huge profits actually make a low margin on the products they sell, they just sell billions of product to make up for it.

Apparently you don’t understand the concept of what “slavery” is.

It isn’t “slavery” if you volunteer for it.

Clearly, you accept the work with the knowledge that $20.00 is all you’ll receive for said work, therefore if that isn’t enough money for you then don’t volunteer to model something.

Nobody is MAKING YOU do it.

-fitz

FINALLY! Somebdy else gets it!!

Not to mention all the stuff you stated, but in some cases, these $15/hr workers may find themselves in higher tax brackets where they’ll get even more taken out in federal, state, and local taxes.

After all is said and done, the people will be right back where they started, and STILL complain they’re underpaid.

So where would it end?

Not misunderstanding your point at all… I think I am just trying to make you think about it from another angle.

Its not about an I7 or Maya its about the price of things in general.

Then why bring up the i7 price?

Huge international operating companies take the same price everywhere while wages are different.

Companies always charge more then the wages themselves. Why? because usually they have more overheads. Even if they are using freelancers, theres managers, accountants, website maintainers etc.etc.etc, all that need a slice of the pie.

You don’t think that this is a little bit unfair?

Nope. You have to remember living in those sorts of countries, whilst the wage is lower, so are living expenses. sure imported goods may have a bit of a premium to them. but that doesnt stop them from working on older machines.

East Caribbian Dollar = EC$

Im from Australia, we use $ as $, but internationally people say AUD. Same with USD. or ECD. Use the dollar that you are meaning.

With the other people, if we mandated minimum 15 bucks an hour worldwide… many companies purely wouldnt be able to run over there locally either, because wage prices have jumped up 10 fold. What you were able to work with with 10 people you now can hire one.

This is market economics and capitalism. Globalisation means that wage costs are more easily exploited because of the differential between the West and the developing countries. This probably explains why there is an increase in populism, self-protectionism and nationalism, as a reaction to threats on jobs in the West.

$14 for one-time sofa is really low, yes. Sounds like nobody should do that, even in India. Everybody should try to make the sofa (well, perhaps not sofa) and sell it 100 times with $5 or so. $500 is pretty good earning for a one-time-labor of sofa.

So would it be the best thing to work for free? Because then you don´t have to pay any taxes.
Of course not.
Taxes (in most countries) are progressive, which means that you can never have less if you earn more because of “higher tax brackets”.

“What is a proper amount of money? It all is perception”

Perception only? Then imagine you earning 6.000$/month too, even if reality say otherwise. Still poor? Then keep say “but its only perception”. It doesnt sound right? But maybe is only perception!

“What will happen is that the price of everything will rise in response to higher labor costs (so your purchasing power remains exactly the same as it was when your wage was say, 5 dollars an hour)”

Purchasing power is not the only factor. To obtain “more purchasing power” you place in the mud labor rights and labor conditions. You exchange better labor condition/rights for a “more purchasing power”, a power which is alleged. That’s right: alleged in reality since you get underpaid while most prices are the same as ‘decades’ ago (landlord rents?). You get the same or worst and losing labor rights and better workplace conditions. A lose:lose situation.

“more purchasing power” and meanwhile you need two jobs to maintain the basic needs of your family, the same needs of ‘decades’ ago. While ‘decades’ ago a job was enough to even make some saving.