Game industry current trends; They want you to spend like a Saudi Arabian prince

Even if you payed to get the game in the first place.

Not just Microsoft, but Epic (Unreal 4) is also really big into the new-school monetization push. It’s becoming the same with the other studios in the PC and Console space outside of the Indie corner.

And it’s going to pay off for them, because if the mobile market taught us a thing or two, some people are willing to spend not just 60 dollars, but thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars on a single title. Those who want to hold onto their money (to build a game library or build a nice gaming PC) are out of luck, as they will face paying the retail price and spend hundreds of hours repeating the same tasks just to move on.

And you think the special edition of some games with DLC are expensive, now that will be considered dirt cheap. Oh well, I guess it’s a good thing I don’t consider myself much of a gamer anymore.

For game players, what do you think of all this, are you going to continue gaming hard, start buying Indie games only, or play board games only? For game creators, do you consider this a good idea to implement in your games or will you avoid it?

it’s up to a person if they think it’s worth shelling out a given amount on a game. i flat-out can’tunderstand the mind set of someone who’s spent $30k [not a typo] and counting on Star Citizen, but it’s their money. as soon as that trend’s established, games will be developed and written to exploit that until such time as people decide they’ve had enough. thing is, these days people seem generally too lazy to do the “grind” and earn things in-game. when i played Elite back in the 80s it took months to finally make the rank, but the sense of achievement when i did is something people these days will never experience because they just pay for shortcuts.

Here’s another article

Part of what is drawing the ire of players is that numerous game mechanics are being replaced wholesale by the random box drops. No longer do you unlock better and better stuff for higher scores and more content as you progress through the game and achieve goals. Now it’s becoming more like the simplistic game-loop system of mobile games…

• Play the first batch of levels
  • Earn currency
  • Get item drops
  • Upgrade
  • Repeat 1 through 4 a number of times so you can complete the second batch of levels
  • Start grinding the second batch of levels to Earn enough currency for another item drop
  • Upgrade
  • Do steps 6 and 7 a few more times so the third batch of levels is passable
  • Grind the third batch of levels and repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 even more times to move on
  • (Optional) spend a few thousand dollars to get all the items and make progression a breeze

The only difference really is that paid games with this stuff do not also throw in timers and ‘energy’ bars (if they did, then there would be no point in paying for a game with all the Free 2 Play titles out there).

thing is, these days people seem generally too lazy to do the “grind” and earn things in-game. when i played Elite back in the 80s it took months to finally make the rank, but the sense of achievement when i did is something people these days will never experience because they just pay for shortcuts.

The difference is that the grind back then was primarily the product of difficulty and the push to earn various rewards and unlockable items (you can blow through the entire game once you’re good enough). The grind mechanics today are created with the purpose of encouraging people to pay (because even if you play well, the programming is purposely set to make you repeat a level a certain number of times at minimum).

So?
It’s advertising & propaganda, haven’t you learned nothing. Still beating the old horse. War, confusion, distraction, diversion… all are means for profit. Even health, fear, pills, news… welcome!

Make an addict and be as god.

Addiction is a thing that can destroy anyone , anything at any place. Once you have got addicted to something there is no open way to escape until you put your next level efforts. Same Theory applied for game addicted person. Once he/she get involved in the levels of game; you will try your best attempts but will find no result. Either they have to pay millions for this they will have.
The developers have made this source of income in very smart way. Some time they offer lives and bonus in some Dollars. Sometimes they provide some deals of any restaurants, sometime they offers some coupons. Like last night my brother has used Christmas shopping coupons to avail his Life in a game. He was on 2nd last level and not want to lose the game. I just got stuck after watching that.

It is amazing. text twist