Importing heightmaps question

I am new to Blender and using version 2.79. I am trying to learn how to import height maps. and am running into a problem. All the tutorials tell me to install the import image addon. that works fine. I go through all the steps which are all the same in all the tutorials: import images as planes>choose image>subdivide plane>modifiers>displace, and this is where I hit a wall. the tutorials tell me to go to modifiers, select the height map and raise the strength. The problem is, I can’t find the height map name listed when I tap the Texture icon in displace even though I imported it. It shows up in the outliner and also in a line above the “add modifier” slot but not in the Texture list. I have to guess the tutorials are omitting something or, more likely, I am missing something. Can someone enlighten a newbie and show him what he is soing wrong?

Thanks,
Jim Lawrence

I recommend looking at some of these videos…admittedly I just did a random search, but this seems to me that you are not familiar enough with the interface…and I do not want to create walls of text explaining it… :slight_smile: I hope it helps…and you do not need to use that addon…
just create a plane unwrap it(faster to unwrap before subdivision), subdivide it and apply a displace modifier …using the texture image as the height reference.

so… when you hit the wall, jump over to Texture, select Displace, set Texture: Image or Movie… choose…

then you’ll probably know how to go on
:slight_smile:
enjoy