Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Originally Posted by Metin Seven View Post
    Fair enough. So far I've read that smaller bucket sizes yield faster render times for the CPU + GPU combination. I'm just wondering if there's a more or less general treshold somewhere, where a smaller bucket size doesn't improve rendering times anymore, maybe because of bucket initialization time.
    you might check also this recent comparison:
    https://blog.render.st/blender-2-8-h...d-and-quality/
    Everything's relative. Even saying "Everything's relative".

Thanks, I've checked it. Interesting read. Is there no difference between the latest Cycles build of 2.79 and the 2.8 branch when it comes to combined CPU + GPU rendering?
    visualization pixel art illustration 3D (print) design metinseven.com

Based on this three days ago I went to V-Ray looking for benchmarks. Just out of curiosity since I have no intent to update any hardware right now given the comments in this thread. But, all I found were benchmarks like the ones on our forum. Either CPU or GPU but nothing giving us a look at both working together. So it seems it is indeed a work in progress and as one Blender Head mentioned not a time for a hardware update. Unless of course you have huge bucks to throw around.

Hell, could it be this might end the Graphics Card mania with Nvidia having a field day with prices. I took a trip to Amazon several weeks ago and couldn't believe it not being a stockholder. Those son's a bitches are out of control. So it is indeed a interesting time for Blender users. As another Blender Head said a time to step back and simply wait on the developers doing their thing. Hell the only graphics card I saw not grossly overpriced was the 1060 which was only 100 hundred USD above a fair price. Many years ago suddenly there was a disconnect between cost to produce and retail. About the time Wall Street took over main street. So the Blender developers have made this a interesting time indeed. And, I hope to stay tuned for the outcome. :- )

///

Originally Posted by theoldghost View Post
    Hell, could it be this might end the Graphics Card mania with Nvidia having a field day with prices.
    It's not really Nvidia or AMD, its the cryptocurrency mining craze that's pushing up prices as stock just flies off the shelves. The cost/supply of RAM (at all levels) isn't helping either, but not sure what's caused the supply issues there.

That aside, it changes little from a Blender point of view, as does CPU/GPU rendering really. If you need new hardware now, then you buy what you can afford, if not, wait for the next best thing.

In the mean time, chances are that software improvements over time will speed things up, which then means we try to do more which slows things down and the 'cycle' continues.

Here https://developer.blender.org/D2856 the small tile diff is meant for CUDA, but also says "as openCL". So, what is the situation? Is this small tile rendering improvent available for openCL too? Any AMD users here?
    Everything's relative. Even saying "Everything's relative".

In the mean time, chances are that software improvements over time will speed things up, which then means we try to do more which slows things down and the 'cycle' continues.
    Thanks man I needed a good laugh. Because that is exactly what we will do.

///

There are a few official examples made by Chaos Group here. Their approach was different, though, and this is why their results are different acceleration-wise.

Originally Posted by theoldghost View Post

Based on this three days ago I went to V-Ray looking for benchmarks.
    ///

Originally Posted by thetony20 View Post
    It's not really Nvidia or AMD, its the cryptocurrency mining craze that's pushing up prices as stock just flies off the shelves. The cost/supply of RAM (at all levels) isn't helping either, but not sure what's caused the supply issues there.
    Is the future of rendering still GPU's or will it becommer no longer the prefered choice.
    Should development get started to think about other hardware maybe FPGA's ,or massive parralel CPU's (parralella for example).
    Perhaps some USB Blender dongle ?.

Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
    Is the future of rendering still GPU's or will it becommer no longer the prefered choice.
    Should development get started to think about other hardware maybe FPGA's ,or massive parralel CPU's (parralella for example).
    It's GPGPUs.

Given the progress that Eevee is making, let alone improvements in Cycles GPU rendering, I'd be very surprised if anyone ends up feeling that the money spent on a quality graphics card is wasted.

Future computing technology is too far out to start considering changing the path of development.

Yeah, the crypto craze isn't helping with the cost of GPU's at the moment, but then CPU's aren't super cheap either and rendering tends to be somewhat faster on GPU's (or real-time in the case of Eevee). But prices should come back down, tho if you need a new card now, then not much one can do about it. Apart from the fact you should get many years of rendering out of it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345