Thread: How to model a shape like this

How to model a shape like this

I Was wondering what is the best way to model a shape like you see here below to a 2d plane with the same topology. I've been fooling around with cutting spheres with different kind of topology in half an scaling them flat and such but i cant get there... Anyone?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bp.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	357.5 KB 
ID:	501317
    'Not obsessing about absolute precision would also be wise. This is polygonal modeling which is approximation, and the precision required is for visual purposes. In other words, not a CAD.' - JA12

This is the closest i can get so far.

Name:  Naamloos-6.png
Views: 163
Size:  26.9 KB
    'Not obsessing about absolute precision would also be wise. This is polygonal modeling which is approximation, and the precision required is for visual purposes. In other words, not a CAD.' - JA12

Checker deselect and bevel.

Create a circle, select everything and use checker deselect to select every second vertex. Scale it out and then use shift+ctrl+B to bevel the vertices, use the mouse wheel or + and - to increase/decrease the smoothness/amount of vertices.

thx a lot!

Name:	screen.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	501350
    - circle, 18 vertices
    - couple of cuts
    - subdivide
    - un-subdivide with 1 iterations
    - four of the faces selected and rest are deleted
    - materials assigned, spin tool to get those repeated
    - subdivided and smoothed a bit
    New to BA.org and have a support question? Here's how to do that more effectively.

Thx a lot JA12, can u explain 'un-subdivide with 1 iterations' ? Is that done with the decimate modifier?

Could do but faster with un-subdivide tool. ctrl+E -> un-subdivide, iterations on the operator panel.
    New to BA.org and have a support question? Here's how to do that more effectively.

very nice, didn't knew that at all!

If it can be just 2d, I would do it with multi-pass flat shapes, add them together, and color with a color-ramp.
    If you want 3d, I would use curves to get the overall arcs, array to fine-tune the alignment, and then boolean to make the parts... A like a so!
    IntersectingFlowerThing.blend

Name:	IntersectingThings.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	501384
    Commissions, 3D prints, and Mechanical Engineering. If you appreciate my contributions, support me on Patreon!

Originally Posted by JA12 View Post

- subdivided and smoothed a bit
    Can you tell how to smooth the mesh after subdividing? When i click smooth vertex it doesn't give the proper result;

Name:	Naamloos-1.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	501489

One way to do it is to

Name:	screen.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	501491
    - subdivide with as many divisions as you need
    - select none, edge select mode, select non-manifold with ctrl+alt+shift+m which selects the outside edges, then invert selection with ctrl+i
    - deselect the edges on the inner or outer faces with material deselect
    - w -> smooth with positive or negative smooth value, depending on the selection

ty! compicated stuff, i wish i knew the half of modelling like u do.

Smoothing didn't go as smooth as i was hoping for. but I will try it again later. This is the result so far;