Problems with Drivers X Euler Rotation version 2.79

hello first post on the forums and pretty new to blender. I searched here and google quite a bit for my issue and came up empty, so if it has been asked before my apologizes.

ok my issue:

I create an empty cube
then create a cylinder rotate it 90 on the Y to make a roller and set its parent to the empty cube ->Object(keep transforms).
select the cylinder and add Driver -> Manually Create later(single).
in the graph X Euler Rotation drivers tab, I set object to my empty cube and Y position
for the scripted expression I set “var*-1”.

Now when I move my cube along the Y axis the cylinder spins on the Z. no mater which position or rotation I set it always spins on the wrong axis. I have uninstalled / reinstalled, Deleted/Re-added objects, tried to set different Axis, opened new projects from scratch, its always the same.

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

So have I asked in the wrong forums or has no one ever seen this? The problem still exists I can not get the rotation to work on the correct axis… Anyone please?

Since you had done it - Post images, share a test scene… anything for users to simply check & help.
Lately less & less time is available for a skilled person to help out. Especially on a bit more intricate cases.

You need to align your rotations the same if you want to use your parent as your control. Turn your view to local or normal and then select each object. You will probably notice the axis are different. Your rotation transform of your parented object will not be the same. The simple fix is to clear your transforms on your cylinder before you parent and put your driver on it. Control a rotation and scale assuming you have not rotated your cube. The transform space your looking at is not the transform space you used. Align your objects and apply transforms, parent and then put your driver on it. You might want to consider using -var to get your rotations turning in the same direction as your cube movement. Remember your dealing in radians. Good Luck.

Thank you @stilltrying, the problem was exactly as you said. Rotating the object in object mode changed the transform rotation and was causing me to spin on a weird axis. Upon deleting the cylinder and adding a new one this time changing to edit mode and rotating to my desired spot then going back to object mode, parenting and adding the drivers it worked just fine. Thanks again

I have a problem. I want to control a ball roling by using drivers.
So I added a driver to control the x and y rotation.

Whenever I move the ball on the x-axis it works. Same goes for the y-axis.
But if move on the x-axis first and then on the y-axis the rotation is not correctly.
I think it has to do with the euler rotation mode I use. But no matter which mode I use they all mess up at some point.(Sorry I can’t upload the file because I’m a new user). Maybe you could try recreating my scene with a simple sphere. How do I get it to rotate correctly.