Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Challenge #747 (13/10/17) Entries CLOSED

Theme #747 for Friday 13th of October 2017 is:

Voxel Art

Entry closes at 22:30 GMT, Monday 16th of October 2017.

"There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
    Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
    Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week."

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
    For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

For new members: if your entry/post doesn't show up right away, that might be due to blenderartist's auto-moderation feature. Your post will show up eventually. However, this can take some time (hours). So, if you are close to the deadline and your entry is caught by moderation, just send me a PM including a link to the image. I'll try to add it manually.

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :-)
    Last edited by Helge; 06-Nov-17 at 17:59.

Maybe it's intentionall, but is the theme marked in yellow?

This is gonna be fun

Originally Posted by Miatpi View Post
    Maybe it's intentionall, but is the theme marked in yellow?
    I'm still searching for a better ways to make the theme more visible. With all the text around it, it is easy to miss.

This is gonna be fun indeed! Saw a great (winning) Voxol entry @ weeklycgchallenge.com this week. Go see for yourself.
    'Not obsessing about absolute precision would also be wise. This is polygonal modeling which is approximation, and the precision required is for visual purposes. In other words, not a CAD.' - JA12

VoX

Thatīs a fun theme, also very forgiving for sloppy modeling.

This is my entry:

VoX - The Voxel Fox. ^^
    Pure, modeled in BforArtists rendered in Cycles. 1000 samples with denoising. Post in Affinity photo.

I started with a rough sculpt and used the remesh modifier to "voxelize" the different parts of the model. Only a few adjustments were done to the mesh afterwards.

Happy modeling everyone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VoX.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	501512

Nice one DM9!
    'Not obsessing about absolute precision would also be wise. This is polygonal modeling which is approximation, and the precision required is for visual purposes. In other words, not a CAD.' - JA12

@DM9 that's really cool, exactly the kinds of awesome designs I was hoping to see

@RayVelcoro that's ironic, I honestly hadn't even seen that site before but it's really awesome so thanks for bringing it up. That voxel image was incredible.
    Find me at https://www.artstation.com/robotica to see all of my art

I must say, I really hate it when games use voxel art. But rendered images can look really cool!

Originally Posted by Helge View Post
    I'm still searching for a better ways to make the theme more visible. With all the text around it, it is easy to miss.
    Maybe putting it as the first thing in the post? You can't miss the first line!

Testing! Testing! XD
    This thing is great

Here's my work so far. Criticism welcome 100% pure

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 15.01.35.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	468.9 KB 
ID:	501530

Nice lighting DM9.

So Voxel art is like pixel art but only 3D?

Sorceress

Non-competing

Awesome theme by the way.

Pure. ManuelBastioniLab human figure. filmic. denoiser. 512 samples. Alchemy material library. Post processing in Paintshop Pro 2018 for name and outline.

Name:	sorceress small.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	759.5 KB 
ID:	501547

I thought this would also be a good opportunity to test how precise Blenders boolean operation works. So I combined everything up to export an STL for 3d print. The exported model was not flawless unfortunately, but I still managed to print it without a problem.

Name:	Vox Photo.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	829.5 KB 
ID:	501552

@Ryeath, pretty much. A voxel is basically a pixel with volume, so instead of a two dimensional square a cube is the basic element. The fun of the challenge is of course to show the basic building block and see how low res you can make your subject , while still keeping it recognizable. A "4k voxel model" would just look super smooth I guess. ^^

Originally Posted by DM9 View Post
    I thought this would also be a good opportunity to test how precise Blenders boolean operation works. So I combined everything up to export an STL for 3d print. The exported model was not flawless unfortunately, but I still managed to print it without a problem.
    Very nice! What size is this? Do you mind me asking what printer you used?

The height is 6 centimeters, fairly small to keep the printing time low. It printed in about 2 hours with .2mm layer height on a CTC Makerbot clone.

Thanks. I expected it to be much smaller (~half the size).
    Maybe it is time for me to look into 3d printing a little closer, again.

Originally Posted by DM9 View Post
    Did you have to use supports?

@mattthecat, yes, because of the 90° overhangs of the voxel structure support was needed. Also the mouth of the fox would not be possible else. But it came off quite clean fortunately.

@helge, by all means, get a printer. If you are a creative and know how to 3d model this is the best investment you will ever make. Being able to bring your virtual ideas to "life" is simply awesome. Desktop printers are fairly limited in what can be printed easily still but with a bit of experimenting and experience a lot can be achieved; and if it is only a prototype that you can send out to a professional printing service like shapeways with confidence.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast