Braided rope

Hi guys,
You’re always so helpful here, so I thought I’d ask another one.
Any suggestions how to make braided rope like in this image:

There are lot of tutorials on making the basic twisted pairs of tubes and using the curve modifier, but as far as I can tell, this braid is like 8 strands or something?

Thanks in advance!

there are many ways to do this, i dont have access to blender atm so i cant create a demo for you just yet, but the first thing i would do is set up 3 array modifiers.

first you make one curve, you know, the S shape.
then you array it to make it as long as you want it to be.

then you add the second array modifier, and give it an offset of 50% of its total length (i recomend using contant offset and not relative by the way)

then add the third array modifier to make it as wide as you want it to be.

from there, i would tweek it to your liking, duplicate it, and put the duplicate on another layer.

form there i would make the strips going through the current mesh, and make sure nothing is clipping, once everything is working, duplicate everything, move it down along the Z axses, and find a way to connect them.

if you cannot figure it out with this information, let me know and ill make a demo for you when i get home.

Hi finalbarrage, thanks for your help. I don’t think I can work it out from the explanation. If you do have time and could make the demo, that would be amazing :smiley:
Thanks again.

Wow, thank you so much for that detailed explanation man. I really appreciate it.
I’ll have a go at it this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Carl

This is where I got up to with this:

The texture isn’t really right and I am starting to hate working with cylinders…it’s incomplete but I might finish it one day.
I should’ve just followed your tutorial but I was confused about how UV mapping works exactly so I started worrying more about that than modelling.

Thanks again for your help finalbarrage

If you’re going to use textures, I would start with an arrayed curve model.
Something like this:WeaveModel.blend (83.3 KB)

And then dress up the ends once the array is applied.

Dudecon, you’ve come through again with another good solution!
A big thanks to you and finalbarrage!
I might try this again in a few weeks when I have some time.