Linux cannot update to python3.6.2

I have gone through about 3 different tutorials on how to do this after failing myself…the biggest issue with linux is it’s lack of approachability and ease of use…has anyone had issues updating python…or is it just me…

-extremely frustrated.

“Linux”?

Which of the dozens of Linux distributions are you talking about?

I have gone through about 3 different tutorials on how to do this after failing myself…the biggest issue with linux is it’s lack of approachability and ease of use…

Then don’t use it. What do you expect to get out of it? Don’t listen to all the Linux evangelists, it’s still a bad desktop OS. If you don’t have a good reason to use it, you are wasting your time.

has anyone had issues updating python…or is it just me…

People have issues updating software on Linux all the time. The packages your OS provides may be too new (or too old) to work with whatever software you are trying to use. It’s different for every distribution, packages on Debian (stable) are going to be really old, packages on Fedora are going to be really new. Stuff breaks regularly.

Why do you want to change your Python version anyway? Blender comes bundled with its own version of Python.

I’m on 3.6.2-1 on Arch with no issues.

“I’m on 3.6.2-1 on Arch with no issues.”

Arch is one of the distributions with really new packages. It’s also one of the few distribution that doesn’t even ship with a graphical installer.

Whatever you do, if you find “Linux” unapproachable, don’t use Arch (and don’t listen to anything that Arch Linux users say).

The only thing I agree is that you shoud use an O.S. that suits you.
Having said that, I find Linux distributions faster and more reliable than the alternatives. Windows and MacOSX alike.
MacOS is passable, but has a lot of performance issues.
Right now, the fastest rendering rig I own is a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS machine. It scales a LOT better than Mac and Windows.

You mention the Linux distribution you use, and the version.

LinuxMint 18.2 Cinnamon…I wrote that initial post when I was clearly frustrated…but I stand by what I said…I still prefer linux to windows…and still having issues…I finally gave up after people started telling me use sudo with -h or run as root…I do not have the knowledge to do either :slight_smile:

Is it based on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial , right? Can you use Ubuntu PPAs on Mint?

Current version 3.6.3.

Are you a Mint forum user? Have you posted your questions or reported problems on Mint forum?

For more real-time assistance than the forums if you start up xirc (it’s pre-installed and pre-configured to go to the mint help channels) you’ll probably find some kind souls who will help talk you through the process.

python can be installed side by side with other versions
– it is DESIGNED THIS WAY

for example
redhat and fedora are DEPENDENT!!! on the default version of 2.7 for yum and dnf ( this will be changing sometime)

but you can install 3.4 and/or 3.5 and/or 3.6 all on the same install , really easily .

most of the time just by using your packagemanager

yum search python 

will give you a few options

OR

just build from source
python is VERY VERY VERY well documented
– as in RTFM!!!

now you might encounter a issue like i did
i have 3.4 installed on opensuse as default version

BUT needed 3.5 for “blender-gis”

just build the version you need and and export the install prefix to the blender folder after renamming the blender python folder to “python.old”

BUT!!! for the corect python plugins like “numpy” you MUST USE THE " PIP " IN THE VERSION YOU BUILT!!!

for Mint use

su -
apt search python

( i set up a ROOT account on my Debian9 install and use “su -” – i HATE “sudo” on a single user system )

Read this one as it also explains well the "alternatives " system. https://mintguide.org/other/794-python-3-6-install-latest-version-into-linux-mint.html

Extra hint

Looks like ‘sudo apt install python3.6’ is trying to upgrade 3.5 to 3.6. That’s why Mint crashes.
Instead of ‘sudo apt install python3.6’ use
sudo apt-get install python3.6

It will only install python3.6 as an addition to 3.5 and it will not harm OS.

Basically thats all same as on other OS, for example on OSX also different python frameworks can coexist.
Its just important to assign the python pathes/version cause some SW may relay on default version that came with the OS-version and is almost always behind the python.org provided actual version.

Once setup properly you cmd the desired py with python<major>.<minor> and all is fine.

Jens

It’s actually not designed this way, that’s why it’s a pain in the ass to deal with multiple versions of Python. It’s a problem that third parties needed to solve haphazardly.

That’s not fine at all, it’s not a good way to work and it will fail with other software expecting “python” to be some particular version, which in the case of Linux will be whatever the distro decides it should be (unless you mess with the system). That’s why the crucial question is:

Why do you want to change this?

Again, Blender doesn’t use any Python that is installed in the system (though it may be able to use its site-packages if the versions match). If you want to run some Python software with particular versions, the solution might be using a virtualenv.

@yafu, that ppa worked

@jens, Ich hab die schon probiert…it was one of the first ones I tried…assuming ‘Deutsch’ based on your name.

@berrbaron, you seem to be the self proclaimed authority on everything…but you do have a cool avatar…so you got that going on.

-thanks all.

BB, I’m a little offended by that. I was for not even a second suggesting that someone unfamiliar with the deep inside workings of Linux should install Arch, nor do I believe I even insinuated that.

However, to decry all Arch users as being unsuitable of serious consideration when offering advice is a different matter altogether. Those of us who choose to use Arch (and to take the time to respond pointing out that the problem is not universal) is, frankly, shameful.

@berrbaron, you seem to be the self proclaimed authority on everything…

My authority requires no proclamation, not even by myself.

Oh, but you shouldn’t be. There’s much better things to be offended by.

I was for not even a second suggesting that someone unfamiliar with the deep inside workings of Linux should install Arch, nor do I believe I even insinuated that.

That is true, however you also didn’t say that they should not install Arch. With the intention behind your statement left ambiguous, it takes an expert counselor (like me) to point out to the layman that downloading (or even attempting to install) Arch would not be a wise choice.

However, to decry all Arch users as being unsuitable of serious consideration when offering advice is a different matter altogether.

It may be a bit harsh, it’s certainly a generalization that will be unfair towards some individuals, however on the whole I think it’s a solid rule to live by.

I also didn’t say they should not jump off a cliff. Nor did I say they should not stick a knife through their heart, nor did I say they should not put their head in a smouldering bucket of lava.

Your point?

EDIT: For clarity, my post was in direct (and relevant) response to the OP. It is not my place to tell people what they can, or should do, or not do.

Again, to the layman, it is not obvious that installing Arch Linux ranks somewhere between a knife to the heart and the lava bucket. To the unwitting, Arch Linux may seem like a perfectly fine step to jump off, not the kind of cliff that would lead to certain death.

Your point?

To illustrate my point in another way:

There’s a scene in the movie Pulp Fiction where the character Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman) finds a bag of white powder in the jacket of her date, Vincent Vega (John Travolta). Assuming that it is cocaine, Mia snorts the white powder.

It turns out however, that the bag contained a very pure form of heroin, leading to a life-threatening overdose. Mia is eventually resuscitated via an injection to her heart.

By casually mentioning that something “works on Arch Linux”, you are leaving that bag of pure heroin on the table, for curios coke-heads to snort. You haven’t told anybody to snort it, but you also wouldn’t be there to prevent it.