Normal + Bump baked to new normal map

I have an object with a cycles material which applies a normal map and a bump map combined to generate the object’s normals. This object appears to have the correct normals when I render so I think my node setup is correct. Problem is I want to bake these combined normals to a new normal map. When I select the object and bake normals, I just get a blank (0.5, 0.5, 1.0) map. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

I don’t know if I understood you, But If I remember well the bump map node you need to use the height input to generate the bump maps and they usually are heigh images (black and white ones). Below the height input we have the normal input for our normal map. Because of this I guess is what happening to you get blank bake image.

Maybe you could try mixing two normal maps, you could use one baked perphaps to reproduce the bumps and another normal.

ATM, Cycles doesn’t do it. But you can still do it using Cycles and a custom node(check here)

And if you want, I already wrote a python node that does the same (and a bit more)… You can download it here.

@Hdhunk Yeah I’m using the bump node with the height input as a black and white map, and the normal input as a standard tangent-space normal map. I want to bake the normal output of the bump node into a new normal map. Basically this is a low-poly model with baked normals from a high-poly model, and I have subsequently added hand-drawn “dents and scratches” as the bump map.

@Secrop, thank you, that’s exactly what I was looking for! For some reason I had to add a gamma correction of 2.2 to the output of your node setup to get the right levels but after that it worked like a charm.

You shouldn’t mess with the gamma. Instead you should set the bitmap color space to linear in the uv editor, in order to produce an accurate normal map.