Modelling for animation question.

Hey guys :eyebrowlift:
just a quick question please. If i wanted to make a short animation in blender, say for eg a playground.
now I want to model everything from the ground up, so I was just trying to find out what the best workflow would be please.

i know each artist is different but would I model each object separate first I.e make a slide then either export as OBJ then import into my scene, or append it?

Or would I make the ground for eg then on another layer make the slide, then on another layer make a see saw then bring them into my scene or would some people model EVERTYHING in the same scene, or would this get messy in the long run?

just a little confused about how people model, separate from the scene or together?

thanks for any help.

anyone have any ideas what is the correct way please? would it be best to model separately then save and append into your scene?

I believe the recommended way is to put each asset in a separate .blend file. Then append links to each object into the scene. But I find it difficult to manage, so I usually keep everything in the one file (import assets I want rather than linking). Maybe look for this on YouTube: “Blender Tutorial : Linking and Appending : Do’s and Don’ts!”

Thanks very much for the reply. Yeah I guess everyone organises stuff different. I love my folders to be really neat and tidy so I like to find the best way to organise.

The way I usually organize it… is if it’s a complex Animatable object… like a Character… then I would place that in it’s own separate .blend file… then link and proxy it in…
but if it’s just a more background Object like the Building and street the Character is going to be moving around in… then allllllll those objects go in one file and again get linked in … but are all sitting in one file…

Remember the whole reason for even using linked and proxied objects is so that if you need to make changes to that original linked in object after you have begun animating it then you can still do that without having to go back and redo your animation work…

if you don’t Proxy… then when you make even the slightest changes to say the Mesh on a character… then you have redo the entire animation sequence in that particular scene from the beginning…

So if the object is not too complex… and doesn’t have a lot of animation on it… if any… then you don’t need to even have it linked up and proxied…
you can still do it…
but you don’t have too…

but if it’s a complex character…
and by any definition a character is a complex animated object…
then it needs to be linked in and proxied up …

another thought on the process…

plan out scenes…

and have a separate file for each scene…

this way any mistakes can usually be isolated to just that one file (scene) and not the entire movie your trying to make…

don’t try to make a whole movie… no mater how short… in one .blend file…

thanks so much for the reply. sorry I forgot to recheck my post doh!!!