Focus on my topology and reflections as this is my first time

Hello Blender Users,

I have attached few images of a vehicle model that I want some of the experts’ opinion on. This is my first time on modeling any type of vehicle as I mostly do interior and exterior Architecture Visualization. But the vehicle model is a little bit complex and wavy that’s why I turn to Blender Artist to have some serious critique. I need an opinion on the reflections and topology of the model. I started with the minimal workflow and added the topology as I needed to and tried to minimize the wavy reflections. If there is anything that needs changing, I am all ears.

Happy Blending
Peace

Attachments

1 Like

Hi there,

First off, the overall shape is quite accurate to a real C-Class, so well done on this!

From a topology point-of-view, don’t use crease edges on the bodywork, just because IRL you simply cannot craft sharp edges.
Instead, you should add a loop cut nearby the edge you have creased now.
Also separate the bodyparts from another. It makes it alot easier and you also don’t need creased edges anymore. Especially the under part of the car, the wheel arches or the exhaust tips, which are another material should be separated.
And last but not least, try to only use quads, for example the area of the back numberplate, other kinds cause weird reflections.

Modeling cars with polygons is very hard and unforgiving (if you want to do it precisely), but there is not only one solution for the topology, practice and try’n error is everything:yes:

Hey LW,

I appreciate your critique on my model as I clearly needed one. I have noted down some points like replacing creased edges with proximity loops. I actually tried adding one right now on the doors crease and it looks way better than just adding mean crease. And by the way adding mean crease is a little but tricky as it sometimes creates really weird artifacts and cracks faces around them especially on the wavy surfaces. Secondly, from the beginning I have kept the model in quads. I have added tris or n-gons at some points but like ~1-2%. Which I am working on those areas to replace them with quads.

Thanks once again for checking in the entirety. Appreciate it.
Peace.

Hey @ravenshotcg nice modelling and topology… mines more of commenting and less of critique cause I’d say we’re on the same skill level in blender… was working on a 2017 c63s coupé and it’s just crazy how similar we modelled looking at your model topology flow