1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

This was the first brand new car I ever bought, way back in '87 after I took a job at Ford as a manufacturing engineer. I think I paid about $18,500 for it, which would be around $40,600 today after adjusting for inflation. It made all of 195 horsepower with a turbocharged four cylinder Pinto engine, had cloth seats, adjustable shocks, A/C, anti lock brakes, aluminum wheels, an AM-FM radio + cassette player, and a power adjustable driver seat. A nicely equipped car for the day.

A couple years ago I bought a 2015 Mustang for $45,000. It made 410 horsepower, had a reverse camera, parking sensors, heated and cooled leather seats, navigation system, and too many other features to mention. Looking at it in the context of what I paid 30 years ago, the Mustang is a real bargain. (I don’t have the Mustang any more, now driving an F-150 4X4 - Needed the hauling/towing capability)

I used procedural textures where I could, but the headlights have defeated me for now and I used the best photos I could find online as image textures. Tail lights are fully procedural/modeled, but need some more work. The interior is empty so far.

Next: finishing up on some exterior details and tackling the interior, then sorting out what to do with the scene.

Attachments

4 Likes

Great stuff!
Love to see the more odd cars.
Are you going for a realistic representation? Because the rims are too big and the tyres are too low profile, the nose is a little ‘‘pushed in’’. Other than that, this is great work so far!

Thanks!
Nice catch on the wheels and tires, BTW. If one looks real close, the tires are 20" Pirellis and so the wheels are scaled up to match. I think the original car had 16" or 17" wheels/tires. I got lazy and grabbed the Pirellis from an older project…
As for the front end, yeah, getting the proportions close to correct is challenging working from photos. I’ll revisit that, along with the wheels and tires.

So, I’ve scaled the wheels and tires down to roughly 17" and changed the tires to Michelins. Also extended to nose several inches at the center. Finally, I worked some on the scene, but it’s still missing something…

Still need to work on the interior too…

Attachments

I got started on adding some details to the scene, and haven’t touched the car since.

Attachments

I’ve shifted things around a bit, scaled up the buildings some, and changed the perspective view. I wanted a twilight/evening scene, but the lighting is killing me - For now the lighting is just an outdoor HDR background. I also need to learn how to realistically grunge things up - Right now it’s all too sanitary.

Attachments

Now playing with lighting, trying to get a night time scene. Still needs work for sure.

Attachments

Still working on the lighting. Getting details to show a black car at night without messing up the overall lighting is a challenge. I ended up using a number of area lamps placed very close to the car with emission values of around 4 to 10, depending on location.

Attachments

nice work :slight_smile:

Hi, I was wondering if you could leave a download link to the mode. I’ve been trying to make my own or find another one online but the only other model I found was uploaded to a website that requires personal information and ridiculous requirements to download just one model. I’ve been trying to create my own but to no luck it doesn’t look right to begin with. And by what it looks like you have the only other model of this car. The reason I’m interested in this model is because I so have this vehicle as well Any downloads to the .blend file would be appreciated so much Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Hey man, I was wondering what ever happened to this project? I grew up in one of these cars my grandmother got brand new back in the day and had until 2005 when she unfortunately traded it in for a Kia and if I was around at the time I would have bought it myself from her. Anyways, fast forward to November 2nd 2021 and we unfortunately lost my grandmother to dementia. It would mean the WORLD to me and I am sure others who are big fans of the Turbo Coupes to be able to get out hands on this and see it converted as an addon into a modded game like GTA V or even better yet, Test Drive Unlimited 2! I hope all is well with yourself as it has been such a long time since we got any progress on this beauty.

Hey Anthony,

Wow, I haven’t opened Blender in over a year, and had more or less forgotten about this one. I don’t think it ever progressed beyond that old screen shot…

Anyway, you’re welcome to the file. It’s too large to attach directly - There’s also a partial 2015 Mustang in there, I think. If you or someone who knows what they’re doing can convert it to a game asset, that’d be great.

Regards,
Paul DeCelle
1987 Turbo Coupe.blend

Great job! Don’t let the headlights win!

Paul_DeCelle, Can I get a copy pf the blender file, Id love to try and put the car into AC? I tried requesting access the google drive link but never got a response.

Hi, This link should work - I’ve updated the share settings so anyone can access it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cfu6aXIrsUmirUQblnvZjnJ2lN5bHr7e/view?usp=sharing

Best,
Paul

Ben,
Try this link. I’ve (I think) just changed the share settings so anyone with this link can access it:

[

1987 Turbo Coupe.blend
drive.google.com

drive_2020q4_32dp.png

](https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cfu6aXIrsUmirUQblnvZjnJ2lN5bHr7e/view?usp=sharing)

Best,
Paul

Awesome, it reminds me of the Sprinter Trueno

Paul_DeCelle,

Thanks heaps for sharing, amazing job youve done with this model, do you have plans to do an interior for the model in future? I plan to put the car into Assetto Corsa with your permission, also if you had plans to do an interior that would be fantastic, I will fully credit you when doing the mod. thanks again.

Ben,

Thanks, happy to see you could access and work with it. As for the interior, I don’t have plans to do that right now. Actually, it’s been a couple years since I last even used Blender - I’d have to basically re-learn it…

When you have it all finished, send a screen shot or two, I’d really enjoy seeing that.

Best,
Paul