[Mesh editing] Deformation smoothing

Simple addon that can propagate mesh deformation through connected edges to smooth them. Similar to “proportional editing”, but works on all changed verts at the same time, which is hard to achieve with vert-by-vert transforms

Example:
https://media.giphy.com/media/l1J9KC6X35WU1mWnC/giphy.gif

Addon: https://github.com/IPv6/kristallum/blob/master/blender/addons/sculptSmoothDeform_v01.py

8 Likes

Genial! Thx

Good job. Thanks

omg, that´s brilliant, tnx!

it’s very cool and handy.

Glad you like it. In fact, this is not all. Just added raycasting support. So mesh deformation can be stopped right in face of other objects, avoiding surface penetration. So it`s more like simple and lame “cloth sim”

real cloth sim is hard to setup every time you have just to tune some surface, that is why this addon was born…

Example:

Url is the same. Raycasting “fuzzyness” allow vertex to see objects not only in exact direction, but with slight offset too.
Do not try on heavy scenes though, raycasting in bpy is not really fast (but it is not used if collision distance set to zero)

1 Like

This looks really handy! Thanks.

Wow, this is great! I like it.
Thank you for the sharing!

Absolutely brillant. Thanks !

Please someone reupload this! This looks fantastic! Great job mister!

Still there, just gotta rightclick => save as… on the link itself.

I tried that but it only offers to save the link, which obviously doesn´t do what I want it to do. This is what I get when I rightclick on the link:

“Save Link As…” should give you a *.py

It doesn´t and I think it shouldn´ t anyway. It is supposed to save the webpage as a textdocument and that´s exactly what I get. I can save it as .py, but it´s still the webpage, not the addon. Have you tried it? (Thanks man for taking the time to answer by the way!)

It’s not supposed to save the page as a text document. It saves the linked content whatever it is. On github though unless you click Raw first you don’t get the raw file but an HTML with the code in it. Did you actually click the link though? Right now the link is broken.

Here’s the current link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IPv6/kristallum/master/blender/addon_experiments/sculptSmoothDeform_v01.py You can right click and save the linked content.

1 Like

Yes, you´re right Cyaoeu, thanks a lot for this new link!
Great little tool IPv6!

Hy IPv6!
Do you plan any update on this?
Is it possible to implement a restriction for the deformation apply with a vertex group?

damn this seems super useful

Do you plan any update on this?

Not this one, unfortunately. But it has evolved indeed, and i already incorporated this operator into greater set of tools. i can share it if there any interest

Is it possible to implement a restriction for the deformation apply with a vertex group?

If you talking about fitting infulence into arbitrary shape of verts inside weight group - then it not so easy to do. But if you talking about “cut-off” restriction - then i have additional operator that can restore only bounds of selected area (to initial state, with optional blending), seems like this is it. It making mass-editing of vertices easier.

There’s interest! This addon had completely passed me by, actually, and just having played around with it a bit I can see a lot of great uses for it.
Very curious to see what you’re working on next!