ManuelbastioniLAB 1.6.0 released!

The version 1.6.0 of ManuelbastioniLAB, the free and open source character editor for Blender, is ready for download.

• Basic muscle system, based on standard Blender bending bones, in order to offer the max portability.
  • Inverse kinematic controllers for skeleton rigging.
  • Advanced mix algorithm to easily create complex expressions.
  • Support for phonemes. Unified expressions for anime and humans.
  • Custom rest poses.
  • Improvements in anatomy of models.
  • Improvements in shaders and skeleton structure.
  • Big improvement in usability and algorithm of proxies.
  • New fantasy targets.

So looking forward to this. I actually need it for book cover art I’m designing.

MBL is really great piece of art.

Thank you so much for this amazing addon!

Im having a problem though, I don"t get an expressions panel show up at all. Its present before I initialize a new character, but then its gone, as is the animation panel too. What am I doing wrong?
Im using a Macbook Pro with OS 10.6.8, Blender 2.79

Got it, tried it (and fixed an issue with versions, too. Tip. On Arch, if you are installing from the PKGBUILD in AUR, remove the old version from the config in ~/home/config and from /usr/share) then install the update to /usr/share/blender/2.xx/ etc.etc.)

Anybody having trouble installing the new version? Had to re-install previous version 1.5.0
Could only get a message about this version not working with blender 2.8.
I’m using Blender 2.79 on Mac OSX.

I had the same issue. I rolled back to official release rather than a nightly build, and it works in 2.79.

It’s not a bug. Since the lab is intended for production, it’s designed to work only with well tested and stable Blender versions: official 2.78 and 2.79
This decision was also because many people are reporting me false-bugs trying the lab with the very unstable Blender 2.8.

Probably you are using an unofficial daily build of 2.79. It’s designed to work with the official 2.79 instead.

Within a month I will release lab 1.6.1, in order to include the announced basic hair. In 1.6.1 I will fix some bugs and I will make a less restrictive version check, in order to run daily builds too, with a warning message.

I too could not install this first time round on Blender 2.79. So I shut Blender down, started it up again and the addon installed fine the second time.

Thank you, Mauel, for this. It’s a great asset and it’s kind of you to give it away for free.

@manuel
what happens to the bvh file import? will it be availablie in nxt release again?

THX a LOT for your great work you give away for free!

cheers dave

Pose, animations and expressions now are “after-creation” tools. You need to finalize the character in order to enable them in the lab GUI.

I downloaded this the minute I saw you updated…been waiting with baited breath :slight_smile:

now all the nice stuff is out of the way :wink:

is there planned or will there ever be the possibility to output a lower poly mesh? I usually do all my own modeling, but I can see this being very helpful to me in games development…especially when I do not always have time to model 50 + unique humanoids…enemy or npc…it just takes time.

It’s planned for future releases: http://www.manuelbastioni.com/guide_features_planned_in_next_versions.php

I think I have already seen this, but time passes, I forget…I ask again…I forget wash repeat. :slight_smile:

Proxies in V 1.6 The Bastoni Lab is a in my opinion an awesome piece of work! To mr Bastoni: Thanks very much for it! Your work is awesome.
Currently I am working with version 2.79 of Blender and version 1.6 of MB Lab. Following the video tutorial i found about fitting and using proxies I always fail: I use the proxy reference, load my cloth model, put it on the reference model and click “fit proxy”.
After that step I delete the refference model and create a real MB character which I can pose and such. But after that step I have no more possibilities of working with a proxie!
It seems as if I can use proxies only with the refference model, but that can not be posed. What am I missing here? Does someone know about a tutorial or somethinh where I can learn how to use the proxies?
Best regards,
Bildermensch

You should see a suggestion text message in the proxy section of the GUI.
Can you tell me what it says?

Hello Manuel,
here is what happens: If I start a new scene, i have the “proxie fitting” option. See section 1 in my image! As soon as initialize a character, the “proxie fitting” option in not there anymore. See section 2 in my image! I only get to see the “proxie fitting” section to see as long as there is no MB character or with the characters, made with the “proxie refference” option.
So i see the proxie options only when there hass been no MB character initialised or when the template model from the utilities panel got imported. I both cases I get the same message which you can see in section 4 of my picture. This is the behaviour I am facing. Appending proxies, or saving and reloding workfiles does not lead to any other results.
Best regards,
Bildermensch

you have to finalize the character in order to get the after-creation toolset.

Hello Daedalus,
you are right, that seemed to be the problem. Just tried and it worked!
So, i did understand the tutorial entirely wrong and missed that point. Thank you for pointing that out to me!
Best regards,
Bildermensch!

Will it work in 2.79 or is the next (2.61) targeted for 2.8, as i now got a warning it seams to think 2.79 is 2.8 and wont run.