Clermont Cathedral

Well it’s finally finished. Learned a lot of new tricks and techniques doing this model. I’ve enjoyed doing it but am looking forward to my next project. Anyway here are the final Day & Night renders.

Hope you like the images.

Cheers, Wayne (Wig42)

4 Likes

Some daytime images

Alright, you fooled me. I want to say these are photos but I guess that’s the ultimate compliment right? Absolutely astounding and honestly motivating. Amazing work mate!

WOW! This looks great.
The flat color background on the nightscenes bothers me though, some sky texture would have made it even better.
The dayscenes look great and I really like the overblooming daylight, great colorchoise.
I have no idea what it is in the background right on the second daylight shot :slight_smile:

Pretty amazing. Do you have any clay renders???

Thanks a lot guys. Glad you like it.

I idn’t have any clay renders but I just did a few. Had to remove the trees though cos they are just alpha mapped planes, not to good for clay renders lo
l

Wow. Are you using displacement, or is that all done with normal maps?

dudecon, Displacement and normals. Here’s the node tree for the stonework.

You really got something here.

Love the daytime shots but the nighttime shots aren’t as effective. Maybe it’s the background like ToxicTuba said. Don’t know.

Great achievement.

Great stuff Wig42!

Fantastic job Wayne. I know how frustrating replicating complex architecture from referance photos can be.( I presume you dont have the technical drawings for Clermont Cathedral). Nice work on the textures and lighting. Prefer the night shots myself. There are a couple of things I would suggest a bit of tweaking might improve.
The front doors are clearly an image plane, having gone to the trouble of modeling all those windows I would go the extra yard and model the doors. The windows are a bit too reflective in the front day shot with the reflection also too consistant. I’m guessing the bishop of Claremont doesnt get his windows cleaned every fortnight. A grunge mask with emphisis around the frames would probably help and something to actually reflect, an hdr or image dedicated to reflections or something. I think the displacement on the spires could be lowered a little, it seems a bit strong,grabs the eye too easy, could be just me. I would also add some decoration to the spires, they do have those things that look like cows tongues on them.

That said, again great work all round.

Thanks jkon, some great advice there. I’m busy on a new project now but when I get chance to revisit it I will defo use your suggestions. Oh and btw you made me LOL at the cows tongues bit, thought that was brilliant.

wow. I am impressed. I half though the first images were photographs. Thanks!

I wanted to write something constructive, but first I have to get my jaw from the floor.
Outstanding.

Thanks so much for all the great comments guys.

Cheers Wig

Holy crap how did I miss this? Epic and amazing!!!

That’s a lot of work. I’m impressed by your 3d modelling.

Really amazing, great job.

I’m very impressed by the window lattice structure that comes through at certain viewing angles.

Awesome modeling, awesome materials, awesome lighting, awesome everything!

Night shots are magnificent, but those day shots… I thought they were your reference. This is definitely the most realistic renderings I’ve ever seen done in Blender. I hope to see this in the next Blender Demo Reel as well.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised at all if these were reported as being images… 10/10 Easy! Great job :slight_smile: