first portfolio piece.

Hi, I’m trying to put together a portfolio so i can get some work hopefully. So this needs to be as good as I can get it. Please tear it apart and point out any flaws you see. Thanks.
*p.s. this work was created in zbrush and maya, I didn’t use blender but I found this forum useful for critique’s in the past.
hope that’s ok.

2 Likes

This is a really, really good start. You’ve overcome almost all of the typical issues. I don’t usually say this, but definitely feel free to ignore any of the following suggestions, they are all kind of boilerplate towards average, and this guy is begging to be outside the curve some.

eyes should be halfway between top of skull and chin (facial features as a whole are too high)
bring the chin up some, too long and low. (rule of thirds)
naso labial fold too uneven (too strong of left) or too weak on right.
skin material overall a bit too glossy, and roughness is slight too low ears should have more sss, and be more pink (due to sss) with a rim light as you have. Y
more skin color variation, splotchiness, freckles, dings, red spots.
one secret to kick ass skin: barely perceptible thick veins (red on nose/cheeks, green on forehead/neck)
ear shape off some.
more hairs on face, either tiny peach fuzz everywhere, or at least hint at 5 o’clock shadow, or short beard. or show beard follicles/pores.
brows could be higher, and more prominent.
eyebrows hairs/ eyelashes must be added.
split chin good, make it stronger.
darken skin around eyes, look at reference for criss cross bump below eyes.
iris too saturated.
need carunkle (sp?) the little pink areas in the corners of the eye. more eye veins.
more red in cheeks, lighter (whiter) nose, t zone.

overall, insanely good. This could be ultimately become one of the better portraits out there.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks man this is exactly the kind of critique I was looking for! :smiley: some great points, will get to work on them straight away.

Difficult to add more than the previous comment but I think the eyes are not quite looking at the same point. The gaze is somehow off in a rather subtle way.

Great job!
I’m sure you’ll hear “You’re hired!” very soon!