Ora format

Why blender don’t support .ora (open raster) format? We have psd but not ora.

it is pretty common format for transferring data from MyPaint/Krita/Gimp.

If it’s not handled by OIIO then it’s very unlikely that Blender is going to support it.

On an anecdotal note, having worked on and off in the CG industry and in the open source world for nearly a decade, I’ve never even heard of the format.

And on a side note, no one should be using 2D authoring formats by the time they get to applying textures anyway.

You are not the first one to request that.

I think ORA files are basically zip files of pngs with some xml. I can open them as if they were zip files at least. I’ve never coded I/O scripts, so I don’t know if it’d be easy to add support or not.

ORA is a zip file containing a series of PNG images (layers) and an xml file describing how to composite them. It is mostly used as an interchange format for open source 2D art tools. There wouldn’t be a huge amount of trouble to implement as a plugin (all the component parts needed are already in blender) library support shouldn’t be necessary. The big question (with all layered formats is) what do you want the result to be?
a flat image?
a material graph with the component images?
something else like setting layers to different channels normal, albedo etc?

I would say a flat image would be a good enough way to start.

Can always add functionality from there, but people could use a solid alternative to PSD eitherway.

That being said, I would highly recommend we consider the shader editor to be the best compositor to handle ORA files in terms of being real time and GPU based.