3Dconnexion 3d mouse is not as good as a 2d mouse for flying a camera???

I have been struggling trying to use my 3d mouse in Blender for years.

The main problem that I can absolutely not find a solution to is when flying a camera around.

When I fly the camera using a 2d mouse I can translate around the scene at constant speed as expected.

When I fly using the 3d mouse it always appears to be orbiting something, then by pushing to go forward the camera will move and begin to slow down as it approaches the orbit’s center, and eventually come to a complete stop. At that point it will only rotate, but any translation is very Very slow, until the camera is flown in the reverse direction which will slowly “zoom” back out. Then the camera starts flying more quickly as it gets farther from the center.

This has kept me from flying through buildings, around terrains and always finds some way of making me just unplug the 3Dmouse and just using my gaming mouse.

Please, can someone help me figure out how to get the 3d mouse to fly the camera at a constant speed, regardless of position, zoom levels, ect…???

Thanks!!

1 Like

I haven’t been able to find a way around that slowdown in fly mode. Though for me, just using the 3d mouse without fly mode works better.

That said, it would be great if the 3d mouse implementation got some love one day. Compared to how 3Dcoat handles it e.g., Blender’s implementation seems pretty clunky. 3d mice are so useful, particularly for sculpting/painting type workflows where one hand navigating and the other sketching/sculpting (especially on a tablet) can be very useful and speedy.

For me on both Pro and Enterprise version of the spacemouse, from blender 2.8 to blender 2.93 it behaves exactly like in 3d coat, it flies continuously at the speed corresponding to the pressure on the mouse, I actually never saw this orbit mode, even fiddling with the 3d mouse popup options.
Maybe the problem is solved wince 2017 ? Or it’s just a matter of fiddling with the settings. But it took me less than a day to “merge my brain” with the space mouse, like traveling totally intuitively in blender/coat, so in theory it shouldn’t be troublesome to get used to it, but there is several modes to toggle in the 3DxWare/3dconnexion Space mouse settings.

i also have a 3Dconnexion 3d mouse and also can’t really use it in 3d.

it’s more like a very finicky joystick than a mouse. :joy:

sometimes i find it nice for panning and zooming in photoshop. you can use other tools at the same time then.

I don’t have a 3D mouse, but isn’t the main issue with controls becoming unresponsive that the view is not really advancing backward/forward, but more like zooming in/out? This would be the difference between Shift+Ctrl+MMB (dolly view) and WheelUp/WheelDown (zoom view)