Linux Alt key problem - NOT THE WINDOW MOVE ISSUE

I am having issues with my Alt key on Linux in any Blender version I try. Further explained here: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/93501/alt-shortcuts-do-the-wrong-stuff-on-ubuntu

However, it’s not the problem of OS’s window move button function override Blender’s shortcuts. I have no idea what the problem causer is, to be honest. That’s why I am asking - what else could cause that weird behaviour? I remember not having it some time ago. No idea when it appeared, but it’s annoying me a lot, making my workflow significantly slower.

¿Blender version? ¿Ubuntu version? Any screenshot of Blender showing those Blender popup? Does the same happen with Blender default settings? You make sure that some enabled addon is not generating this problem.

If this is not caused by some addon, just mention that keyboard shorcuts problems is not a generic Linux problem, Ubuntu Unity desktop environment usually has some keyboard shorcuts incompatibilities with Blender.
So if the problem still occurs with Blender Default Settings my recommendation is that you try asking about this problem in Ubuntu forums.

Blender version(s): Confirmed in Blender 2.78b,c, 2.79, UPBGE 0.1.8, 0.2.1
Ubuntu version: 16.04.3 LTS
I am using default Blender input settings.
No addon is interferring with interface. There is no addon bound to interface.

Also, seeing many of Blender keyboard shortcut issues on Ubuntu, it never seems to be the same problem for me. Most of people have the Alt key activate window dragging. That’s not the case. For me, holding down the Alt key makes the Blender sense Ctrl+Alt. No idea why. Like, for example, doing Alt+G (which should reset object’s position) shows ungroup popup. Indeed weird. Furthermore, it kind of locks it into the Ctrl mode, since, after releasing my Alt key, the middle mouse button gets locked into zoom mode (instead of pan).

Yes, that looks like you have always pressed Ctrl key. Maybe a keyboard problem? Are you sure that the problem only happens with Blender? What happens if you open gedit and there inside you press letter “O” key?. I’m really not sure if in Blender there might be some option that makes it work as if Ctrl key was always pressed. But if that were the case and you have modified some option in Blender user preferences, using Blender with default settings should solve the problem.

Edit:
Really if it were a keyboard problem you could not work in any program because of the shortcuts using Ctrl key. You really need to test if the problem occurs with Blender default settings (rename folders inside /home/YOUR_USER/.config/blender, ‘2.79’ to '2.79_backup" for example ).

If the problem persists, you report this to Ubuntu and Blender developers.

This definetly isn’t keyboard issue (otherwise I couldn’t write this to you now, neither would basic shortcuts without Alt key (e.g. ‘G’, ‘R’, ‘S’, ‘.’) work. I will try resetting the config file and report any changes. However, I don’t recall changing any input settings in Blender.

EDIT. And this does seem to actually fix it. I must have messed something up in the settings, but forgotten it later. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Today the problem occured again. No changes were made over default blender settings except for LoopTools, BGE Publishing, HDR to RGBM addons being enabled and Region Overlap checked. None of those should change anything in shortcuts, as far as I know.

Also, the last time I tried it, the shortcuts randomly mixed, sometimes including Ctrl, sometimes doing normal function. Hm… Is my keyboard going crazy? It’s a laptop keyboard so that’d suck. However, I’ve only experienced such problem in Blender…

This is really weird. You try again with Blender default settings, it does not matter that you have made a couple of changes only. You try to find a pattern of when the problem started to happen again.
Have you tried another Linux distribution? Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, OpenSuse, etc.

If you loaded factory defaults, that doesn’t save user preferences nor the startup .blend. If you want to keep either permanent, need to go to user preferences and save the preferences, startup file is saved from the file menu.

Might not be related but Blender shortcuts are hardcoded to use US english keyboard layout. Using a keyboard with other layout and/or using another layout in the OS can result to dead keys in Blender. I have a few. Haven’t heard of jammed keys like ctrl though.

./blender --debug-events 1> /tmp/klog.log

puts all mouse and keyboard events in a file so you could check what it sees as pressed. There will be plenty of entries so don’t test too long. Searching for “ctrl:1” might show events where ctrl was pressed. If the file opens and shows chinese letters, need to open it with utf-8 enabled.

Another program might mess with the keys but I’ve only heard of some key being stolen before it reaches Blender. Apart from the usual alt on most Linux DE’s, also on Windows where another program has reserved hotkeys, such as a screen recording software controls.

Edit: translating the chinese that comes from opening the file with wrong encoding results to some unusual debug messages http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=120654

Hey, sorry to revoke an old topic, had forgotten about this.

Anyways, I’m right now using Arch Linux with KDE dekstop environment, the same Latvian key layout and identical user preferences, but now I get no problems with shortcuts in Blender (every single one I’ve tested works flawlessly).