Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've already got volumetric lighting inside my original model. But i'm unsure how to slice through volume... And with light... My original model will benefit from what we're doing here nevertheless... Imagine an apple and its kernel, the kernel is semi-transparent and emits light, the apple's flesh is glass-alike, while the skin is opaque and transparent, depending on its lighting... That's pretty much what i want to achieve... I bet it would look fantastic under multiple lights and animated lamps like those lamps hanging onto cords that keeps balancing around... Like in donkey-kong-country's mine levels :P

I've animated the current result with incorrect backfaces and it looks quite nice, it's so close to what i need already even tho it's post-processing!Shadows5.blend (Hit render animation)

The more i look at it, the more i believe you resolved it whole from the beginning.

That's true that the backface doesn't count, after all. Even tho it would look pretty with maybe a bit less opacity than frontface but slight presence.

I'll try that all with original project as soon as i fully studied the clockwork of your original file... Unless we fix the backface's appearance on layer 4 and 5

Furthermore, i believe we can apply your solution to a planisphere, a 3d Earth, and have a mostly natural difference between day and night and succeed where blender guru uses less orthodox methods in the example i cited previously... IT was great inspiration nevertheless but with the method we use here, we could easily transpose the knowledge to a 3d earth with day and night produced naturally
    Last edited by MatthieuLeChat; 15-Nov-17 at 13:21.

Originally Posted by MatthieuLeChat View Post
    I've animated the current result with incorrect backfaces and it looks quite nice, it's so close to what i need already even tho it's post-processing!Shadows5.blend (Hit render animation)

The more i look at it, the more i believe you resolved it whole from the beginning.

That's true that the backface doesn't count, after all. Even tho it would look pretty with maybe a bit less opacity than frontface but slight presence.

I'll try that all with original project as soon as i fully studied the clockwork of your original file... Unless we fix the backface's appearance on layer 4 and 5

Furthermore, i believe we can apply your solution to a planisphere, a 3d Earth, and have a mostly natural difference between day and night and succeed where blender guru uses less orthodox methods in the example i cited previously... IT was great inspiration nevertheless but with the method we use here, we could easily transpose the knowledge to a 3d earth with day and night produced naturally
    If you insisted to have the backfaces showing, you would need to do the same as with front surface - there would need to be a pass for the backfaces and a mask for them as well, but that's a lot of rendering and the light would not be correct. In this theoretical situation where the backfaces would be undoubtedly desired it might make sense to bake the 'shadow mask' before rendering every frame. That could be achieved, but would require writing a custom render operator in Python in order to render animations automatically.

I fail to achieve desired results using volumetric nodes and baking the shadow mask. As far it seems it might not be possible to transfer data from UV mapped texture to volume density or I am missing something.

A 3D earth should be easier, ref my first post, since it's lit from a single "point". Using math though to mix shader nodes, doesn't need any input from shaders (which is impossible).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12