Unified Model of Organic Growth -- looking for feedback for our beta plugin

Hello everyone, we’re looking for feedback for the latest build of our plugin.
The release can be found here: https://github.com/hsab/UMOG/releases/tag/v0.2.1

Simply put, our plugin simulates various organic growth processes. It’s a node-based system where you can utilize mathematical models to recreate organic structures. More information is available on our GitHub page.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Usage of the issue tracker is also encouraged. Feel free to leave any comments below. Note that the plugin is still in development so some features are very unstable.

Thank you all!

EDIT: The following documentation should help you all get started: https://github.com/hsab/UMOG/wiki/Getting-started-Using-this-Plugin.
We’re working on getting an osx build up.

1 Like

Look very interesting :slight_smile: will test asap

UPDATE: Ah, I have to install the the zip I downloaded just like that. (I thought I had to take out the UMOG-addon out of it and zip that). I will take a look in the node-editor now.
Looks indeed impressive in the Node-editor, but eh… without manual is like trying to find a needle in a haystake.

fake_module: addon missing ‘bl_info’ gives bad performance!: ‘C:\Users\Myname\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\umog_addon\init.py’
Modules Installed () from ‘C:\Users\Myname\Downloads\v0.2.1UMOGwin64\umog_addon.zip’ into ‘C:\Users\Myname\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons’

I thougth, lets put in some info:
bl_info = {
“name”: “UMOG”,
“author”: “Jacob”,
“version”: (1, 0),
“blender”: (2, 7, 9),
“location”: “View3D > Tool Shelf > UMOG”,
“description”: “UMOG”,
“wiki_url”: “http://www.google.com”,
“tracker_url”: “http://www.google.com”,
“category”: “Object”}

this looks really interesting :slight_smile: Installation worked fine for me without any problems. But can you do some Video showing how to use it? Without understanding the basic workflow it’s difficult to test it.

looks very interesting, any chance for osx build? or at least build instructions?

It looks interesting but as others said there’s no information on how to use it. You should probably have some simple templates and at least a getting started guide that gives some kind of a result.

I would also like to see a version built for the master build.

Could you also provide a OSx version? Looks very interesting!
Ubelievable Interesting :wink:

how about some tutorials indeed?

OK. first thing you need to do is give us some hint on how to start using this.

I downloaded the beast, installed and activated it and went to the node editor. Sure enough there is now a UMOG “context” there besides the compositing, shader and texture. However when i press shift-a i get the menu but can’t actually add any node. I thought that since it’s a mesh modification node i might have to add a mesh object first so i added an icosphere, subdivided it a couple times to have enough geometry and with the sphere selected went to the node editor. Still unable to add any node.
The github page talks about sculpting so i switched to sculpt mode … no way to add any node, they are still greyed out.

I’m out of ideas for now. I’ll actually try to see what that thing does once i know how to turn the power button on :eyebrowlift2:

Hey everyone. We’re working now on making an osx build and should have that as well as a few sample .blend files available for you shortly. Thank you all for your enthusiasm and your feedback!

Great Jacobcluke !

UMOG on Os X

pre compilation steps - libraries

pip install numpy==1.11.2 -> install the same numpy version as blender2.79, otherwise you get an error
pip install Cython -> (0.27.3) last release?

sudo pacman -S cython python-numpy -> install pyenv, pip, cython, numpy : USED pyenv and pip
cd /usr/share/blender/2.79/scripts/addons_contrib/ -> used my dir in Library
sudo chown -R you . -> don’t needed on OS X if you are the user

– clone and start compilation

git clone https://github.com/hsab/UMOG.git -> ok
cd UMOG/umog/packages/ -> ok
chmod +x install.sh -> change file and add --upgrade at end of each line, OTHERWISE it doesn’t build .so files
./install.sh -> ok, it will install pyglet and cubes
cd …/… -> ok
python setup.py --all -> --all to recompile everything from scratch, like --clean before and then recompile
vi config.py -> add your path to blender addon dir in the first line, os OS X is in: /$HOME/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons THIS is like %USERDATA% on win, it works
run blender from command line -> ok
cmd + comma, install addon, select Umog -> ok

getting this now:

FAILED TO LOAD .nodes.algorithm.reaction_diffusion umog
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/max/Applications/blender-2.79-rc1-macOS-10.6/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/…/Resources/2.79/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py”, line 331, in enable
mod = import(module_name)
File “/Users/max/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons/umog/init.py”, line 119, in <module>
modules = import_modules.importAllSubmodules(path[0], package)
File “/Users/max/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons/umog/import_modules.py”, line 11, in importAllSubmodules
module = importlib.import_module("." + name, packageName)
File “/Users/max/Applications/blender-2.79-rc1-macOS-10.6/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/python/lib/python3.5/importlib/init.py”, line 126, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
File “/Users/max/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons/umog/nodes/algorithm/reaction_diffusion.py”, line 5, in <module>
import pyximport
ImportError: No module named ‘pyximport’

I think my setup is ok now. I’ll inspect some more probably tomorrow.

By the way, there’s a tutorial by Jimmy Gunawan on Sverkoch combined with Umog 1.6 (the OLD version) here:

can be convoluted to follow but it shows something you can do with the old version of Umog.

Here are some quick renders made with this setup I got back from my library:

Anyway they don’t show the full power of this tool…

An update on building on Os X. Detailed steps:

Supposedly you have python 3.5.3 like the one in blender 2.79 installed.

Open a bash cmd prompt:

git clone https://github.com/hsab/UMOG.git
pyvenv UMOG
cd UMOG
source bin/activate
pip install numpy==1.11.2
pip install Cython
cd UMOG/umog/packages/
chmod +x install.sh ->

• open the file and add --upgrade at end of each line, OTHERWISE it doesn’t build .so files
    ./install.sh
    cd …/…
    python setup.py --all --nocopy --export

• start blender 2.79 and point to umog.zip file created in UMOG dir

Installing addon in blender yields:

Modules Installed (umog) from ‘/Users/max/Developer/Library/UMOG/umog.zip’ into ‘/Users/max/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons’
FAILED TO LOAD .nodes.texture3d.tex3d_to_mesh umog
File “/Users/max/Applications/blender-2.79-macOS-10.6/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py”, line 331, in enable
File “/Users/max/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons/umog/init.py”, line 106, in <module>
File “/Users/max/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons/umog/import_modules.py”, line 11, in importAllSubmodules
module = importlib.import_module(“.” + name, packageName)
File “/Users/max/Applications/blender-2.79-macOS-10.6/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/python/lib/python3.5/importlib/init.py”, line 126, in import_module
File “/Users/max/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons/umog/nodes/texture3d/tex3d_to_mesh.py”, line 3, in <module>
from …packages import mcubes
File “/Users/max/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons/umog/packages/mcubes/init.py”, line 2, in <module>
from ._mcubes import marching_cubes, marching_cubes_func
ImportError: No module named ‘umog.packages.mcubes._mcubes’

It misses _mcubes.cpython-35m-darwin.so from the build

cd UMOG/umog/packages/
./install.sh

• copy the library into the zip, same directory: umog/packages/mcubes. This is an hack.
  • reinstall the addon. Now the error becomes:

File “/Users/max/Applications/blender-2.79-macOS-10.6/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py”, line 331, in enable
File “/Users/max/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons/umog/init.py”, line 106, in <module>
module = importlib.import_module(“.” + name, packageName)
File “/Users/max/Applications/blender-2.79-macOS-10.6/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/python/lib/python3.5/importlib/init.py”, line 126, in import_module
File “/Users/max/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons/umog/nodes/texture3d/tex3d_to_mesh.py”, line 3, in <module>
from …packages import mcubes
File “/Users/max/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.79/scripts/addons/umog/packages/mcubes/init.py”, line 2, in <module>
from ._mcubes import marching_cubes, marching_cubes_func
File “mcubes/src/_mcubes.pyx”, line 14, in init _mcubes
File “init.pxd”, line 1013, in numpy.import_array
ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import

Looks like some numpy mismatch of some kind… is it?

yet miles to go…

no mistake, yet the addon does not appear to me. How can fix it?
blender 279.1\win7-64bit

I did another test on another computer with win8.1 \ 64bit. I always have installation errors
How can I fix this?

I’m actually making my hands on it. I was expecting finding some examples blend files that accompanied the tutorial, to help tutorial for helping
beginners; even i know it’s not for newbies with blender. Already played with animation nodes before help’s a lot. Anyway it’s an powerful tool with both destructive and non destructive workflow.
What’s the difference between growth and umog panel? I can’t catch it :-s
edit: sorry, didn’t read correctly the whole thread, https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?440940-Unified-Model-of-Organic-Growth-looking-for-feedback-for-our-beta-plugin&p=3258015&viewfull=1#post3258015

as Bob Morane said, i had in mind these two differences

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hsab/GrowthNodes/gifs/gifs/nodes.gif