Correct Filmic settings

Hello,
I want to render my model in a white background. I have the node setup and it works correctly for default color management. But not for filmic color management. It renders in a grey background(please look at the attached images). How can I fix that.

By the way why there are two RGB values(1,1,1 and 0.8072,0.8072,0.8072) in image editor?

Also I would appreciate if anyone can give me the correct filmic settings. Thanks.

ps. I’m using a hdri image which downloaded from hdrihaven

Settings and Node setup

Filmic

One is the actual value in image, other is the color managed (see the CM in front of second triplet), which is what is sent to monitor.

To get white background through filmic, you have two options:

• increase the brightness of white background until it clips to white
  • composite the pre-rendered cube over background in a non-filmic scene.

Third option, for simplicity:

• Increase contrast via “Look” settings

Use “Base Contrast” as your default look. Try some of the high contrast Looks, since that seems to be what you’re aiming for.

Your settings aren’t necessarily incorrect. If you want more contrast, add more contrast :stuck_out_tongue:

@kesonmis
Thank you for the reply. You mean increase brightness by RGB values?

@Willodactyl
Thank you for the reply. Yes I tried increasing contrast(very high contrast), but still not rendered in pure white background.

The point of filmic is NOT to clip the whites. Set up the lighting and materials to be physically plausible and grade the image as the last step. Think of filming something or taking a picture: You do not care if the models vest is sparkling white. You care about capturing as much detail and information of the scene as possible. Once the image is taken you can still crush your blacks and clip your whites as much as you want.

Wanting a pure white background is not about physical plausibility. Not every render in the world is driving for photorealism. Where is photorealism in graphic design?

Where did I say anything like that? What I mean is it is preferrable to set the background to an intensity that it actually would have instead of pushing it until it clips. If you do that you are fighting against the behaviour and are making it harder for yourself because then the background is white but all your shaders blow out.

Filmic is oriented towards (photo)realism, eg desaturating colors as they get brighter. That doesn’t mean it can’t be used for non-photorealistic stuff. Also I said nothing against wanting a pure white background, half of the product viz I do is on pure white backgrounds, which is not photo realistic for an image straight out of camera.

You have to seperate the render output from color grading. If you expect your colors to be exactly how you want them straight from the render then “you are going to have a bad time”. No photographer would expect this (oh no, I said photo again :slight_smile:

You can’t have two opposing things at the same time, can you? Setting the background to an intensity it actually would have will not move the original question towards the solution that gives pure white BG not one inch. Shaders blow out if you just slap the stuff together. Separate camera rays from everything else and there it is, pure white. Separating the render from grading and comp is the variant number 2 in my original answer, so I’m having a pretty good time, thank you.

Setting the background to an intensity that makes sense and not only to make it pure white will help the whole scene. He probably won’t be rendering simple cubes forever.

Yes and that is also working around the color management so it doesn’t affect scene lighting. No different than doing it in post with an alpha over.

I never disagreed with you on anything, I never said there shouldn’t be pure white in an image or that an image is supposed to be photorealistic. I merely explained to the OP that it is unwise to push filmic, which is designed not to clip whites, to display pure white by feeding the renderer bogus data.

Ok, to make it short: If anything I am arguing against your first suggestion and recommending your second suggestion, which you seem to be preferring yourself.