Practicing photorealism - Interior Render

Hello!

I am practicing photorealism by doing an interior render. I am quite new to Blender, so this is just for me to learn and experiment. Because of this I also want to model every object that gets put in the scene myself, just so I can get a good learning curve going. I was hoping you guys could give me some tips and tricks on what I can do to get the realism going more so than I have now. I know the scene is bland and boring, but this is just the start. I feel like asking now so I can do it right the first time, rather than finishing and having to redo a lot.

I rendered the glass at 6000 samples on its own layer, and the rest at 1200 samples. Bounces set to minimum 10, maximum 12 to avoid noise at the cost of render time. Does anybody per chance know if it is possible to get Blender to skip rendering the transparent parts of a layer and just render the object to save time?

Thanks!

Great job with what you have now. I think I would suggest reducing the roughness of the glass and maybe adding a more interesting texture to the table top (maybe marble?). Placing more focus on the wine glass would help a lot, too. That can probably be done by adjusting the lighting and making the colors of the objects a bit more unified (the wine in the glass would allow it to stand out from the rest because it’s red). Maybe changing the position of the wine glass on the table could help, too–try playing around with it.

absolutely everything will need to be textured to the best of your ability for photorealism. at least in my experience. The window needs work. Texture on counter. And the glass is not transparent enough. Also more work on the cupboards. but it is a decent start.
Interesting you said you rendered glass on its own layer, that’s a pretty good more advanced step that I barely use but I think renderlayers is a good step to understanding more advanced things in blender. Keep up the good work.
The lighting color looks pretty good to me and realitic. You could also work on adding more to the scene to make a more interesting render. A bottle of wine for instance. or something on that other counter, it looks like it is a little too empty.

Anyways. nice work so far.

Thanks for the feedback!

“I think I would suggest reducing the roughness of the glass and maybe adding a more interesting texture to the table top (maybe marble?).”

Marble is definitively a good choice, I will try that. As for the roughness of the glass, it’s already at 0. I don’t know why it comes off as hazy. I will experiment a bit. As for composition I have a lot to work on, and that will get better for the next render :slight_smile:

“absolutely everything will need to be textured to the best of your ability for photorealism. at least in my experience. The window needs work. Texture on counter. And the glass is not transparent enough. Also more work on the cupboards. but it is a decent start.”

Textures are very important, yes. I have a long way to go when it comes to getting things textured realistically, but I’m getting there. The window is actually from Archimesh, so I probably won’t do much about that. But I’m going to frame the shot differently as to not drive any focus towards it.

When it comes to the other things, do you have any specifics you think seem off that I could work on with the cupboards for example?

“Interesting you said you rendered glass on its own layer, that’s a pretty good more advanced step that I barely use but I think renderlayers is a good step to understanding more advanced things in blender. Keep up the good work.”

Thanks! I just thought that there has to be a way to not render the entire scene when the only thing that need 6000 samples here is the glass. So I Googled and tried and failed a bit before I got it :slight_smile:

"The lighting color looks pretty good to me and realistic. You could also work on adding more to the scene to make a more interesting render. A bottle of wine for instance. or something on that other counter, it looks like it is a little too empty. "

Yes, I definitively have to add more objects and structure to the scene. Thanks for input on the lighting. It’s HDR-lit through the windows in the room with light portals to avoid too much noise.

I’ll keep working on this and come back with an updated render!