Particle system to keyframes?

I have a falling leaf animation which works quite well except for the way that they hit the ground. When the leaves hit the ground they just stop instantly (they were sliding and so I used “die on hit” and “display died”). In reality they might move a little after hitting the ground before settling into being still.

I would like to change this but can’t find a way to convert the cached simulation into keyframes for each individual particle (which would be ideal).

I did try to use particle system edit but it doesn’t allow me to animate or change the rotation of particles; only location.

If anyone knows how to convert the system into keyframes or any other way I could make the leaves move a little after hitting the ground before stopping, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Practice:

İnfo:

Thank you very much for this! I’ll try it out!

Continuing the discussion from Particle system to keyframes?:

Hi, i’m new here.
I tried to follow this guide, but unfortunately when I get to the script step it gives me an error “Python script failed, check the message in the system console” and i cant find anything log in to the console.
I try this with 2.79 | 2.80 | 2.81
Anyone have the same error?
Thanks

1 Like

Yep - getting the same error in 2.82

Hi, I’ve gotten it to work in Blender 2.83 with these steps:
add particle system - render as an object [set an instance object] - select the render object then the emitter (emitter must be the active object) - run the script in the link below in Blender.
following those links to the stack exchange discussion, copy the script:
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/4956/convert-particle-system-to-animated-meshes?answertab=active#tab-top

2 Likes

Awesome, I really needed that! Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

You can export it as alembic and then reimport the file, then you’re good to go.

Is it possible to run this script with a quick explode object? I tried, it created particle objects, but they are basically empty. Maybe because in the particle system render is set to none. Explode modifier comes after particle system. I’m basically looking for a way to modify the explode output.