2.8 eevee renderer problems and workarounds

i am starting this thread for people who want to use eevee in their pipeline (against the warning on the download page)
or for devs who want to improve on it

i am currently “porting” an animation from cycles to eevee and will post problems i run into as well as any workarounds i can find.

Color Management / tonemapping

first of all congrats on consistent color management across renderers:

but it all gets lost when rendering to a file:
all values get clamped before tonemapping which results in awful tonemapping (especially noticeable when using filmic tone mapping and in areas of overbright saturated colors)

current workaround:
multiply all light intensities by 0.1 and set exposure to 3
but this adds a lot of noise in dark areas, so i use the curves to remove dark values.

still a fix would be much appreciated

I have this flickering that is annoying and I’m not sure if it’s just me. No one answers me. I have an AMD gpu (r9 390x) and every other frame it that is animated or I move around the scene the flickering shows up.

https://i.imgur.com/yXVi8Vy.gif

I can’t render over 1920*1080. Blender just shuts down.

i think this is an aliasing / bloom problem

higher multisampling in File/UserPreferences/System should reduce the issue

or if you render it out, Render/OpenGLRenderOptions/Anti-AliasingSamples

Depth of Field issues

when using too much depth of field, strong color banding occurs. the only workaround i know is limiting DOF max size to 4 or below, which isnt a lot. also the image output has very low alpha values in blurry areas.

unfortunately, bright close objects bleed a lot into blurry dark background. basically every sharp in-focus edge blurs into the background. closer in focus pixels should not be sampled for the blurrier background mipmaps.
only current workaround is adding dof later in after effects

modifiers / shape keys

well they dont work unless you apply them. animated modifiers currently not possible.

also currently out of luck with shape keys.

This thread is the equivalent of asking why a half-built car doesn’t run correctly. Eevee is pre-alpha. The issues that exist are well known. It is not meant to be used for anything other than tinkering and playing for the foreseeable future.

Doesn’t work. It’s the same.

To bad no one has an AMD card to tell me if they have that issue. Literally no one. AMD is a small company that only an handful people in the world own an GPU from them. Maybe five people. One in every continent. /s

true. plus the workarounds which make some things work better

if thats the case its good to know. unfortunately i was unable to find a public list of known issues.

Since we’re so early in development, writing a list of everything that isn’t working yet would be a huge undertaking. I’d rather the coders write code right now.

I have the same flickering on an AMD RX580. It’s not always there but it pops up sometimes. I’m also curious about how consistent rendered results are for most people here. I’ve had the opportunity to test Eeevee on two different RX580 cards, and the renders coming out of them have slight variations, One card is by Sapphire and the other is by Gigabyte. The Sapphire card seems to produce a less contrasty, less saturated result with less bloom. Both use the exact same linux kernel,driver and blender build - all i’ve done is swap the cards.

Sapphire RX580:

Gigabyte RX580:

Thanks for an answer to my question. At least I’m not alone with flickering.

Looks like Bloom is the only diff in your images?

Can you render 4K in Linux?

Only the ship scene renders in 4K, probably because it’s simpler. If i try it on the archviz scene it crashes. The graphics card is 8GB by the way, i don’t think the scene’s supposed to be that heavy.

Cryengine divided the renders in subimages

Latest 2 builds are broken as before on AMD cards (I think). There was some problem before but they fixed it and now it is back.

Bummer deal about all of the the AMD issues. Hopefully the AMD issues are resolved soon. It’d suck for AMD users to be second class citizens in Eevee much like they were in cycles for the first 5 years.

I know that Blender devs will fix this in time. Eevee is based on OpenGL and not DirectX luckily. So I’m not worried about that.

The devs are doing a great job.

More AMD GPU problems… :spin:

Yes, as long as this is not (again) due to AMD drivers problems.