Running a GTX 1080 and 108ti together

Hello all,

I do a lot of texture baking in Blender, and am currently running it through an ASUS GeForce GTX 1080, 8G vram. I’d like to add a 1080ti 11G vram to the board, but I have a few questions about it.

First, I know that the render speed will be limited by the memory of the smaller card, but does that mean that the 1080 ti could work as the display driver while it’s rendering alongside the 1080?

Second, if I get a cheaper GPU to use as a display driver, I can keep using my computer while my current 1080 renders, right?

Third, assuming the answer to the second question is, “yes,” will the 1080 render any faster?

These are problem dumb questions to an expert, but I’m not an expert, and am just trying to learn as I go. The deeper question behind all of these other questions is: Why does texture baking take so long? It’s really surprising. With my current 1080, I can render a very realistic, virtually noiseless, scene in just a few minutes. When it comes to baking the textures of the walls, floors and ceilings, though, it can take 8 hours and be riddled with noise. Aside from the fact that denoising doesn’t work with texture bakes, what gives?