holes in mesh

is there a way to sculpt an image say cement or wood and have holes in the mesh where there would be screws? or should I look into floating geometry? not sure if floating geomotry or normal map would do good for holes in a mesh that has screws countersink into the mesh. any advice or reccomendations would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. images like this. I cant find a image texture that has the bolts like this pic

Attachments

I’m not sure why we would even talk about sculpting here since this is a perfect(and I mean perfect) scenario for CC SDS modeling with crease control. Have a look at this blend file.

so pretty much just do proper topology and use edge loops around the holes than when I ture the plank and texture the bolts seperately? if I use normals maps or flating geomtry for planks not near will those 2 techniques do a good jop with the holes looking real? I just found a link on detail drivers so plan to look at that as well.

thanks so much for taking the time to help me

Normal map could do something
but not certain how realist it will look on UV mapping !
do some testing and see how it looks

doing a real mesh will give a more realist look and using CC should not be super high res
and easy to modify afterward !

also depends how realist you need it !

happy bl

If you know how to properly bake normal maps then you’ll be fine. In this case you might want to look into baking with a cage for the bolt holes for an example.

I was wondering what is the difference between instances and array? The manual doesn’t really explain and I found a tut that has no volume… Do instances save memory if I was going to array these high poly planks? I know I can do normal maps which I am learning this week and I figured I could also learn and use the detail driver and or camera depth of field so maybe that will help with memory and not having high poly which isnt near the camera.
I figured to learn about this floating geometry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEjLDkWB4QY

but I also found this node tutorial. would this work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCHWdKQWDB8

thanks again for all your help

sorry for the late reply, yes instances should help with memory however an LOD system would have other benefits. For an example high poly instances would still likely be heavy to calculate where a low poly LOD object might be lighter. I’m not sure if that matters much for a path tracer like cycles though.