First Portrait

My first cg portrait. Not satisfied with it please point out everything that seams wrong to you! :slight_smile:

hey dude, not bad for a first portrait, better than mine was when i first started portraits.
I’m not going to lie there is a lot you need to work on.

1. bump map is way too harsh
    2.pull the mouth and chin further down from the nose
  2. too much sss on the nose.
  3. hair is too thick and wirey
    5.cheek bones are too far down
  4. outer and inner corner of eyes need to be pinched closer together.
    7.the right side eyeball looks like its about to pop out the side, needs to be pushed further in.
  5. also think the eyes need to be spaced a bit further apart.

overall, its a good start. Your main problem seems to anatomy.
there are two great head sculpting tutorials that i can point you too that will really help you leap forward, they are both done in zbrush but if you are comfortable in (I assume you sculpt in blender) the software you use, its translatable.

1.pluralsight.com: lee magalhaes “understanding facial anatomy in zbrush.” he also has great tutorials on breakdown of the whole body anatomy and sculpting both male and female bodies.

2.lynda.com: ryan kittleson “sculpting portraits” another great head tutorial.

I would start with lee on pluralsight because he makes it so you really understand the form and underlying anatomy, and takes you step by step. niether of these sites are free too use , but you can get a 3 month free trial of pluralsight, which is more than enough to get through the head and some other great tutorials. I’ll pm you some more resources to help you get started :slight_smile:

nice! I think the eyes are too big and the skin shader is wrong, exept on the nose

Yeah true dat. I had Subsurf on the nose and no proper roughness map… So yeah. I will watch this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryi_pYqcavs for my next render.

Here is a clay render so one can focus better on just the form :slight_smile: