How many time to complete a blender project?

Hello everybody, I’m new here and relatively new to the 3D world.
I’m learning blender, zbrush, and substance in order to incorporate 3D made illustrations in my job (I was illustrator and graphist, but have a long stop because of health problem, and now adding competences)

But when learning, I have the impression of taking long time on each project and I’m anxious for selling 3D in professionals projects. So I was wondering how many time do you guys and girls take for each professional project from A to Z ( sculpt, retopo, rigging texturing, rendering) on average? :confused:

This is not a competition, so please give me a real time base. :smiley:

Excuse me for my English but I’m french.

Thank you all.

When I create a character for animation with good anatomy and topology,cloth,texturing,rigging,its took me 2 weeks

I had to make a comercial, finished it in a week, a fully rigged concept robot, plus video animation for a large Expo

Another less complex one i finished in 2 days

Rendered all at renderstreet, which you might like to use too, you can let a company pay, be sure to explain how to costs work its an estimation.

I’ve done a number of commercial animations about different products/services. A 1-2min stylized animation with everything done myself = about 2-4 weeks of work. Of course it varies A LOT depending on how challenging the subject is to model/animate. Often times I also get the models straight from the customer, which usually saves some time in getting a “realistic” result.

Here’s an example of a work where everything, except the music, was done by me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5wFMI1rXb8
That project took 1.5 months of real time, but only like 3 weeks of actual labour.

I am also new in the 3D world. Just start to learn. Now, trying to scan necessary auto tool for this. My Knowledge totally zero. Although, trying to find an obd2 bluetooth in the effective guide. Just join the forum and reading here and there to get the basic idea…

Wow! thanks a lot for your answers, really cool work.

Since I’m an illustrator and graphist I will need to make some character or animals and I was wondering how much time a character take to be made from a to z.
For exemple, the new tutorial of P2design “the dragon Knight” on the blender market, in a professional workflow, how much time does it takes to be made? Do you know?

Or here is an exemple of my work on zbrush, but for rigging and texturing that gorilla, and make it in blender how much time would you make for a similar animal but rendered and textured (maybe with hair) totally in blender?
Because I hate zbrush textures and fibermesh render… It’s look artificial…

Hm this might depend on how radical different your model is.
If your good at sculpting, you might be able to quickly turn a human in an ape.
But crockodiles, horses, squids, insects are different animals.
Rigify is your friend for creating quickly human armatures, (and i believe some animals as wel), otherwise you will need to create your own bone system, its not difficult (if you know how) but it adds more time to the job.
I once did a realistic horse in about 2 week-evenings 14times 2 hour or so.

A recent tip i saw was on bcon2017, there is youtube about how to quickly create a basemodel using metaballs. And ussing sculpt addons you can get something basic i think realy fast maybe just a few days if your handy.

Also do a search for bastioni lab, can be a nice starting point for human base mesh creation

for giving hair on the ape, use (a lot of) hair groups it makes working widht hair a lot easier, smaller areas of hair are more easy to comb. you can use rigify for it, but you might mannually add some bones for the face, or shapekeys. Oh and you might import your existing model. add a few days for armature and a day for hair… it depends a bit on quality how much time you want to put into it. Maybe it would take me 1 day and maybe add another day for a face rig

Manuel Bastioni lab models are CCBY so you need to provide attribution. For a commercial project if that’s a problem makehuman (www.makehuman.org) creates CC0-meshes.

actually CCBY is for images from his website in print articles or other websites outside his website.
its a bit more complicated for the models, thats AGPL v3 (but maybe? different if its used in opensource games)
However for a rendered model (copied from website) :
For this reason, the author of the 2D rendering is the sole copyright owner of 2D image/video created by him and the sole responsible for the use of his 2D image/video.
sounds like CC0, then someone editing then rendering would also be CC0

Detailed license info here http://www.manuelbastioni.com/guide_license.php

you can think the other way around, generally clients have a fixed budget or time for an illustration or an animation. You’ll have to deliver something that fit those.
Of course with tight budget or time you’ll have to deliver something that is not as polished as it could be with a bigger budget, but it’s your job to manage something that is still good.
Maybe you should try to make some illustrations in a few days to train yourself to put good details at the right place.