Need help with super_fingers in riggify. Blender 2.79

I’ve just started using the rigify add-on and I’ve been having trouble with controlling the fingers. Especially when I want the model’s fist to clench. I’ve seen that the older rigify had simple widgets that could be scaled in order to curl the fingers. I’m trying to figure out how to do this on the newer version and I’ve been told that I need to enable super_fingers for the bones in the finger but I’m not familiar with rigify and I’m not sure how to do this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to BA.

For some silly reason, the default metarigs use the tentacle rig type instead of the super finger rig type.

To change this, select the metarig in Pose Mode, select the first finger bone on each finger and change the rig type to super finger. (Bone Properties > Rigify Type) This needs to be changed for each finger, including the thumb, for each hand, but only on the root most bone for each finger.

Next, generate a new rig from the metarig. You should get the results in Figure 2. The finger controls will have a master control for each finger that will bend the finger when scaled.

Good luck!

Thanks! I’ve set up the super fingers but for some reason scaling the controls doesn’t seem to do anything. I’ve parented the generated rig to the model and weighted it so I don’t know what is happening.

I’ve enabled the super finger option but for some reason, scaling the controls doesn’t do anything. I’ve parented the model to the generated rig and properly weighted it. I don’t know whats going on. I’ve attached my .blend file so you can take a look at it if you want. Thanks for all the help!
base head rigged.blend (3.56 MB)

It’s doing something, just the wrong thing…

You have the rotation axes set to Y on the fingers. It should be set to X. And the X axes of the fingers should be aligned a bit better if you want good results. When the control is scaled, the finger is twisting on the y axes.

Set these correctly on the metarig and generate a new rig.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot. It’s finally working.

Hi, what about the pole targets not being created? Is there a similar fix for this?

Thanks,
Ian