Experimental nightly build

Will using the experimental nightly build…zipped file…affect my main install in program files? The reason I would like to try it is to see what the bevel shader does. Or can I just download the bevel shader from somewhere to install in my program files blender install.When I open it will it adopt the addons I have installed in program files? I just don’t want to affect or ruin my main install. Thanks

Just create a folder called config in path-where-you-unpacked/2.79. That way you will have 2 totally independent configurations. If you want to use what you customized so far just copy the files from your program files configuration into the new folder.

So opening the experimental 2.79 version will not affect my main blender program install. Where does the config folder go exactly? Thanks

Look where you unpacked the zip file. There is a folder called 2.79. Open it and create a folder called config. That’s all there is to it. It will in no way effect your existing Blender.
Edit: For more information on this check out: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/getting_started/installing/configuration/directories.html

Thank you m_squareGFX.

Hi

When You have unpacked the zip file to a folder - You just run Blender.exe

First time Blender run.It will make the folders in Your - C:\Users\Ejer\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender

( This is on Win 10 )

Here is a pic…:slight_smile:

What You see is daily build from 2.75 to 2.80…There is the config and the other dir - in those folders.

Just Copy the startup and userpref from Your installed Blender to the version You wan’t…Puff Puff

Tai