Cannon scene concept

Hey there!

I’m working on this cannon scene and I’d like to get some critique on the concept. For example: I don’t know if it has a particularly suiting ambiance. The cannon and the grass are 3d models, but the rest is just images and paintover in Krita. The look I’m going for is something between these two:
https://d1231c29xbpffx.cloudfront.ne…a8f769028f.png

Harsh critique is also welcome, I’m currently still in the progress of figuring out what to do.

Thanks in advance!

Judging from your reference photos (Thanks for that - makes my 2 cents worth so much more), you are going for something photo-realistic. I think for starters, if you remove the post-processing work, it would be a bit more clear as to where you need to be.

The image when completed needs to have a theme, ie old rusty cannon left exactly as the civil war fighters left it . … . or deducing from the track marks…some rather other. Maybe you can embellish a bit more.

All in all, a worthy start for your portfolio.

If you are going for realism, then this cannon is out of place. The carriage on which it is mounted is typical for a naval gun on a ship, or would be used in a fortress. With those small wheels it would immediately get stuck as soon as it leaves a paved road. These cast cannons are quite heavy.

Thanks for the helpful reply! I really wasn’t aware that this cannon doesn’t fit in the environment. Do you think one of these two would fit?

Yes, those are proper field guns!

Thanks, but I’ve spent quite a lot of time on my model, so I could also go with another concept I have in my head, which does fit with my current model. My workflow has been really bad and somehow the model and environment took me months to make, so I’m not sure if I want to remake everything.
Here I’ve added the other concept and a quick model of a real field cannon. Which one do you think I should go with?

Thank you so much for your feedback btw

Hi, I think that the first scene could look really good with this composition, but you should rework on the texture of the cannon.