One mesh or multiple meshes?

Hi everybody, I am currently studying game design and I have a question that has been in my mind for a long time, It is probably super simple for someone who has more experience in 3D modeling but I am just a beginner.

My question is, when you model a game asset, does the whole object has to be a unique mesh to work properly in the game engine? For instance, if you model a sword, would you start modeling the blade by using a cube, and then model the handle with another primary shape like a cylinder? is that good practice?

I have seen some tutorials where they model weapons or some other assets starting from a cube and finishing it from that single mesh. On the other hand, I have also seen some people modeling bigger things, like a castle, having separate objects like windows, then they just place them half inside of the bigger mesh of the building, which is a separated object.

What is better? what is the good practice?

Thanks for your attention!

Assets can be multiple meshes. Poly count is what matters most.

You can start with a cube and then use a cylinder and join them later or leave them separate. When modelling, “cheating” or whatever is easiest is the best work flow.

I have same question but in example on metal plane i put Bolt on it as same mesh but not connected to plane so Will shadows ambiet occlusion etc Bug or how it should be done?

https://img2.cgtrader.com/items/79926/60eee48a21/large/tiger-i-tank-sdkfz-181-panzerkampfwagen-vi-tiger-ausf-e-3d-model-low-poly-max-obj-fbx.jpg

Like this tank is all small things on toplike connected to all or how to do it right?

Ps . Phone