Star Destroyer

Hi All

Been busy with this for about three weeks now, a long long way to to go still, but hopefully enough to start a thread. Should be ready by Christmas 2018. :spin:

Going to try and get it as close as possible to the studio model, but good ref pics are hard to find. The biggest problem I have had so far is getting the blocking out correct as the ref images you can get vary so much from one to the other. I bought some from The Blueprints, but the accuracy is piss poor, so they are not even being used. :ba:

Tried modelling with curves and did the laser batteries only with curves with the exception of one part of it.

See what you think, crits and comments as usual highly appreciated.

1ST PIC IS LATEST UPDATE

Regards

Shaun

7 Likes

looks great so far but, holy cow, this will be very hard to achive. and to make it even harder: dont forget the millenium falcon at the back of the bridge

Stellar, stellar work!! Keep it up!

Hi All

@ S-Markt, thanks. I agree this is a mountain of work that I have taken on, even more than I realised at the outset! Maybe between now and the time this is finished there will be a Millennium Falcon on Blendswap. :evilgrin:

@ blenderjunky, thanks for your kind words, means a lot coming from someone who already finished one and did a fantastic job on it!

For anyone reading this thread please look in at blenderjunky’s Star Destroyer.

Regards

Shaun

Wow! That’s a very good start to a very, very, very, complex model my friend. :yes:

Wishing you well here, if you put a Millennium Falcon in it, what size LED screens will you use for Princess Laya? I can help here maybe… :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Clock. :eyebrowlift:

1 Like

Thanks Clock.

I think what we do here is dress Honey up in The Princesses kit as I already really like her monitors. YES :yes::yes::yes:

Good luck my friend. May the force be with you!

1 Like

@ Shenfara, thank you and thanks for looking in here. I think updates will be slow as this is taking some time…

You can maybe use this portfolio as references :

1 Like

Hi All

@ Duddits, thanks for the link, have had a look at Ansel’s stuff before (he is the god of all things Star Wars :eek:), but I did not know that he had started a WIP on the destroyer. Those pics will come in handy.

I think I have a bitten into a big beast here, you model for hours and not much changes. :spin:

Small update to the work.

Regards

Shaun

Sweet! Very Impressed. Can’t wait to see it in a space environment with stars and planets all around.

1 Like

So, you jumped right into the next big thing after your x-wing. And again it looks great!

1 Like

Hi All

Very small update.

@Rasdini, thanks. I am also looking forward to the end, but the amount of time this is taking me, the end is in a Galaxy far far away…:smiley:

@minoribus, thank you, appreciate the comment coming from a master modeller. Wow this is time consuming. The main issue I am having is not so much the modelling, but the searching for hours and hours for ref pics. The problem is not finding them as there are literally millions on the web, but finding high res ones that you can actually see what is going on to model. I said in the OP that I was going to try and get it as close as possible to the studio model, but I see now that there is also going to be quite a bit of assumption and guesswork.

PS: I know you have had a hectic year, but I am going to bother you at some point for assistance with a shader. :evilgrin:

Loving Hard OPs and Box Cutter, great Add-Ons. Also got nice Add-On called Plating Generator, this is great now that Mark added the ability to generate the plates from your own mesh.

Regards

Shaun

1 Like

Impressive! Your polycount must be on the dark side.

1 Like

Thanks Sammy1973. Count is not as high as it looks, including what is completed on the attached pics its sitting at about 460 000 verts.
I have the bottom and the front of the tower to complete, so I reckon that the complete tower section will be in at about 600 000.

Not sure if I was just plain stupid or just hoping for the best, (probably the former). I had mirror mods on for the bridge section and the tower until I noticed in ref pics that both sides are completely different, with the exception of the rear. :eek:

I will continue to work without mirror mod on tower and bridge, but not sure if it is worth doing on the whole ship. Maybe the different decks, but probably not the outside of the ship. Some thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

If you dislike me, please do not comment. :D:D:D

We need a bursting into tears smiley here for frequent use by myself. Or one that repeatedly smashes his head.

Regards

Shaun

Your model looks awesome already. It will look spectacular when finished and rendered properly!

Regarding the symmetry, which SD are you trying to copy? I have seen the ESB-studio medel three times and took a lot of reference pictures. If you need some, let me know. In general, I don’t know a single Star Wars (Ep. IV-VI) studio model which is 100% symmetric, as all of them are handcrafted and kitbashed. The Slave 1 is particularly unsymmetrical, the nose leans towards one side very noticeably, if you know what to look for. If you want to go for accuracy, I’d bet you had to model all sides seperately.

Cheers,
Thorsten

1 Like

Hi Thorsten

Thanks for looking in, appreciate the nice comment.

As far as possible (where ref pics have allowed) I am trying to do the ISD II, seems the Avenger has the most pics online. Where I cannot see I have tried to borrow.

If you could let me have the pics that you have, that would be really AWESOME!!!

Plan to attempt to recreate the opening scene of the original 1977 film when model is done even though this was an ISD I, Devastator, I think?

Doing this in 3D gives you such an appreciation for the work that the ILM guys did on these, it was surely a monster task.

Regards

Shaun

This is killer, great detail! Definitely looking forward to more

1 Like

Send me a PM with your email, and you’ll get them!

You are right about the two versions.

Cheers,
Thorsten

1 Like

@ECropp, thank you very much, seemed to have missed your post, SORRY.

Really Big thanks to Thorsten for the images he sent me, about a GIG and a half of them. Not much scouring the web for me now, can concentrate on modelling. Was like Christmas and then Christmas a few days later. :smiley:

Got tired of making very small details on the tower section so I thought I would start making very small details on the top deck. :smiley:

Nearly done with the top of it, a few details to add and a little bit to rectify.

Regards

Shaun

1 Like