Can't phrase my needs but. Need a bone to follow another but being free too

I’ve got a few bones. It’s very difficult to phrase that up…

I need a bone to follow another bone until a certain point but i need the other bone to be rotate-able on it’s own also.

I’m noob at rigging.

I’d kind-a like to put a piece of rock or something solid between the 2 bones so they never cross one another…

Say… Like when in dark ages they buried vampires and put a stone in their jaw so they don’t strive for blood.

I just can’t find the right words.

Imagine i’ve got an M or a W and that i want the first bar of the M to be fixed. The second to be mobile and the third to follow the second but being also mobile if moved independently… How do i do that?

I don’t want the M to turn into an N, avoiding its legs to cross one another.

But i want do make so when the middle part moves, the rightmost part also moves, but i don’t want to be constrained by the bone constraint, provoking the third part to be un-move-able… I want that 3rd bar to be free but to react to the second…

That’s just beyond my vocabulary. :3 Any help would be Really Appreaciated. :3

I’ll make a blend file to add to the post… One moment… (drumroll)

Constraint.blend (454 KB)

So yea. I made an M. First leg is locked. Joints are locked. Second leg is free on left to right axis and so is third leg… I want second leg to push third when rotating it. I want third to be free even tho it’s constrained and to be able to rotate it alone even if it rotates with second also. And i want both rotations to be cumulative… Like… Rot1+Rot2=Result… It’s probably quite uncommon… But i desperately need to learn this :3

Constrained but free… Sounds like Southpark’s fractured but whole… lel

Good luck :slight_smile: (to you and to me)

Note: Mid leg’s default position is leftmost. Right leg’s default position is leftmost. Mid leg can move right. Right leg can move right. {And of course}(Mid leg pushes right leg.) {either mid or right goes any further to the left, both goes freely to the right}

You can’t have a bone be constrained and still be able to rotate it (well I guess you could with a Child Of constraint). If you’re using stuff like Copy Rotation then you need two bones, a parent with the constraint, then a child of that bone (at the same location) that’s not constrained. That way you can have the constrained bone move with some other bone but still rotate the child bone. You could also try the Child Of constraint with just a single bone.

Please take a look at Humane Rigging. It will answer all your questions. The only thing I think I understood you wanted to do is have one bone follow the rotation of another, but still be able to animate that bone.
You don’t need all the constraints at all. Use the transform locks. Here is a simple way to accomplish what I think you want. But, please just go through the rigging course above and it will teach you how to do what you want.howtomovebones.blend (453 KB)

All i needed to do was to check the “Offset” checkbox. That’S a lot of words for a slight amount of work. Thanx for trying :3
(Inspired myself from a finger in metarig, transposed the knowledge to 2 unrelated bones figuring out that inherit rotation wasn’t the only mechanic doing magic there)

I was looking for transform locks in pose mode earlier and didn’T look hard enough. Spotted them this time. thanx for pointing that out.

For curious minds, fixed project.

(I guess i can make it even more perfect following HOWtoMOVEbones.blend from StillTrying)(I’ll put your advices to work)

File reviewed. Thanx for teh tricks! Quaternion is by nature what i always worked with so other modes are pretty much alien to me But it’s said it’s the most versatile mode so i’ll stick with it :3

Fun part is that i still hafve to learn everything IK FK :stuck_out_tongue: Gona check more tutorials and the one mentioned above too.

Attachments

Constraint1.blend (448 KB)