Blender <-> UVLayout bridge

Hi Blender Artists community!

I want to present a Blender 2 Headus UVLayout bridge for UV mapping. It’s my first python try , i hope you like it.

—Download—
there are two files for 2.7x/2.8
gumroad.com

Improved Version for Blender 2.8 merged to B2RUVL addon:
Link to B2RUVL Post

—OS Requirements—

• Windows 8/10
  • Doesn’t work on OSX

—How-To Setup—

• Blender>User Preferences >Add-ons>Install add-on from file>Select uvLayout_Bridge.py
  • And it will appeared in UV category.
  • Then you have to make it active and select path to UVLayout in preferences.

Any feedback or ideas are welcome!

2 Likes

Headus UV Layout is awesome, thanks for the addon

Hi ! Bug with exit button was fixed.

You are welcome! And i’m really glad to heard this from TexTools creator.

Did some small design wise updates. Still cant get the arguments to work on OSX. Im thinking they cant be passed. Ive tried tons of variations and nothing works. On OX i need to start the plugin direct, so no app start and then add -plugin. That doent work on OSX.

I had something working for the selection mode only, but i later noticed i ran into a problem when the mesh was imported back. All items got the same UV. So i need to work on that part.

I also added a piece of code which updates the seams, cause they still show the old seams when new UV is imported. Also changed the icons, these also update when different modes are selected

Attachments

Hi there!
About same UV - it’s already fixed, it was a mistake in code.
Yep about OSX - Problem still there.

Is anyone able to give an opinion or comparison of Unfold3d and Headus? If you go to 3dmotive there is a course on unwrapping in blender and a comparison of headus and unfold3d. Thanks

Both has free “try yourself” period so why not download both and make opinion by that? My self I really hate how ugly UVlayout look like which is unacceptable in year 2017 even if the tools are very fast and prolly better than any rivals.

90s stuff man, its horrible to move through Hahaha so true, this is freakn system files. I made a comment about that yesterday to them. But the unwrapping is really powerful man, SUPER FAST. So many tricks! Together with all the addons i got for Blender already i can do any job unwrapping.

I did some more GUI updates, added nice recognisable icon. Also added a check for OSX system so less input is visible which doesnt work at this moment.

Ive also expanded the function with selection only. If you dont use that function in the old version everything in the scene would be exported, also hidden objects and objects not visible on other layers. Ive now added a sort of temp check which looks what is visible, then temporarily sets selection on and selects those objects. It seem to run fine now, yesterday i had some issues with this cause 2 objects to get the same UV map.

Still dont have any luck using the -arguments and passing those extras

In the pref addon panle i added the wiki and docu links to this Blender thread.

Attachments

rombout do you know if “smart uv” not smart uv project works in 2.79, or are they the same thing? Thanks

Did some more work, made a popup menu with shortcut when using fullscreen mode. Faster workflow :wink:

Attachments

Hi there ! So here is a small update:

• Added some export settings (Like rombout did)
  • Added check if Zero objects selected and scene is epmty so it will be no action when you press a button

PS: for osx no solution yet. I hope it will be.
PSPS: Hey rombout could you share your version please, i want to take a look how to make pie or other things , because i’m a noob in python.

Hi there ! So here is a small update:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507819[/ATTACH]

• Added some export settings (Like Rombout did)
  • Added check if Zero objects selected and scene is epmty so it will be no action when you press a button

PS: for osx no solution yet. I hope it will be.
PSPS: Hey Rombout could you share your version please, i want to take a look how to make pie or other things , because i’m a noob in python.

I did see it once, not sure its that handy. This is the the addon, its a paid one i believe and has now issues due to 2.79 update. https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?410727-Smart-UV-1-4-4-Spread-Loop&p=3265083#post3265083

PS if you want a good addon, check for UV_magic, https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?391573-Add-on-Magic-UV-v4-5&p=3263400#post3263400

But this is now in blender 2.79 and uv_tools is also super easy.

Thank you rombout for the suggestions. The updates you are doing on the headus bridge…are they available in the link in the first thread at gumroad.?

No there at this point local only, i will put them on gitHub tomorrow if Titus doesnt mind?
His version should work already, yet i expanded the some functionalities like no selection need, this exports all which is only visible. The apply modifier in blender so mesh can be synced with the uv map. Also added a option to make a backup of the model before mod is applied. Mine has 2 shortcuts, 1 is the popup menu and 2nd is use last setting for quick export.

PS do some of you guys use Marvelouse designer?

I bumped into some thread somewhere, someone made a little script which records vertice distance and uses this to automatically draw a 2d pattern in Marvelous then using mouse movement. It was a script setup in the text panel, so i converted and expanded it to a nice working panel.

My problem was, this isnt available on OSX. But i found a nice little app which i can run from terminal and OS so i can use it with Blender.

It uses drawn curve patterns and draws the exact same pattern in Marvelous automatically. The scale is a bit of but its quite quick it guess. I never really made patterns in MD, but perhaps some people can use this if they have patterns in some other format. Blender can handle quite some vector formats. From there its easy to convert them to a Bezier curve and then we can this tool.

Here’s a small preview.

it’s so wierd because of new user limitation until 10 posts. my messages don’t appear at the right moment. So check a header please.

Sorry i dont get what you mean by that